Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Radiator fans not kicking on and car overheating

Old 08-28-2013, 03:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Radiator fans not kicking on and car overheating

Hey guys, so the other day I was driving about 10 miles (so nothing strenuous, or that should cause the car to run hotter than normal) and it over heated, guage, tipping all the way to the "h".

freaking out of course I took him home and shut him off.
I did a coolant flush, to get brown gook out that happens when people mix green coolant with the G12, made sure everything ran clear, filled back up with G12 yadda yadda.

turned car back on, sensor came on saying coolant level was low even though it was at a proper level in the expansion tank.

so today I disconnected one end of the upper radiator hose to pour coolant in there to see if there were any blockages...nope, came right out the hose it was attatched to before.

so other than just replacing fuses and checking water pump I am at a loss.
I think the next step is to check the fan cntrl module, BUT i want to see whatyou all have to suggest i check before going through that trouble.

I appreciate your help!

-Yes I am a girl who loves cars.-

Old 08-28-2013, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

Well there are two things to do and one is inexpensive and one is not. I just went through this and actually managed to melt the oring in the t flange that comes of the block so I was not moving when that happened luckily the local vw dealership had one on hand and threw it in for 100$ so i was happy. The part I ended up replacing was the radiator thermal switch located on the lower drivers side of the radiator. I paid 12$ at a shop nearby but i know audi charges about 60 for them so shop around. And make sure that you check to make sure which plug you need. There is a rounded plug and a triangle plug. My understanding is that if your car has A/C then you should have the triangle plug one but get under there and make sure just in case.

To test this try turning your heat on or ac and see if your fans work then. If they do its probably that switch. If not its probably your fan control module which can get expensive (i did find them for $50) and i have no idea where to look for that under the hood.

As far as the coolant level not reading properly you may also have a bad sensor in the expansion tank.

Hope this helps

Old 09-01-2013, 10:58 PM
1st Gear

thank you for this reply as well. And just so you know should you ever have to worry about it again (hope you dont) the fan control mod. is underneath the battery terminal (yes, audi loves to tuck things away as im sure you know haha)

Old 09-22-2013, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

I had the same experience recently. Check the lower hose on the radiator and if it is cool, either the thermostat is remaining closed or the water pump has failed. It can spin on the shaft which does not provide enough flow to cool at higher rpms. That was my issue even though I had the dealer replace it less than 15,000 miles before. The pump can be checked when you remove the thermostat, the mechanic or yourself can check the impeller through the thermostat housing hole. If you turn on the air conditioner, do the fans come on? If so, it most likely means the fan control module is ok. If the bottom hose of the radiator is hot, then check the radiator fan switch located on the drivers side lower part of radiator.