Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Reliability/cost of repairs, turbo, transmission, etc. mk2 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 12:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Reliability/cost of repairs, turbo, transmission, etc. mk2 2.0

Hello, I am currently shopping around for my next car. Looking at a 2008-10 tt 2.0 liter fwd around 60k miles. I will have a pre-purchase inspection done at independent shop before buying any vehicle. Any specifics to tell them to check for?

The turbos are what really scares me. I know the bmw 335i turbos are 4-6k to repair. Are the turbos on a 2009 audi tt this expensive or what is the actual average cost to repair/replace at an independent shop? Is it preferable to go with the 3.2 although I really do not need awd.

Would be interested to know what repairs your cars have needed and the actual costs.

I am coming from owning a Honda and a Scion so have never owned a luxury car before. Although the scion had a bad transmission (was 1600 to rebuild for example how much would this same rebuild be on a audi tt 2.0?). I am fine with more expensive maintenance but worry about repairs that cost thousands.

Test drove the 08 SLK 350 and loved it but it was a little too small and flashy. Test drove the g37 and genesis coupe but they felt too big and lacked the nice interior and handling of the slk. Drove the scion frs and hated the seats. Thinking the Audi TT will be a nice middle ground. The SLK is actually pretty reliable after 2008 based on reading forum posts. I am reading mixed things on the audi tt. Some people are saying they are reliable some are saying carbon buildup will eventually destroy entire engine as well as many other problems?

Old 03-16-2016, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

It all depends on how well maintained the Audi TT was maintained before you purchase it. Happy searching....

Old 03-17-2016, 12:14 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the response. Test drove it today and liked it a lot.

Does anyone have the figure for labor costs when the turbos do eventually go. I plan to keep car several years so this is a crucial factor in the decision if this is right car or not for me.

Also noticed in s mode it doesn't always brake to a stop smoothly. Like it is downshifting compared to my scion where you hit the brakes and it just slowly stops moving totally apart from engine or trans. Is this normal on an audi tt?

Also car let a little air in on drivers side window was a bit loose.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2003 and the turbo is still working. Oh, no, did I just jinx myself?