Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Replacing Spur Toothed drive belt for rear windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Replacing Spur Toothed drive belt for rear windscreen

Hi Guys,

Am in the process of replacing the drive belt for the rear windscreen in our 2001 TT Roadster. Found a decent price online for the new belt and am ready to go.

I am surprised that could not find any links on this site to a quick solution as I have seen many a post with similar problem but no real answers.

The rear windscreen sits between two knurled posts that basically screw up and down to raise and lower the windscreen. The crazy part is only one side is motor driven and the engineers cleverly used a thin toothed spur belt that connects the motor driven side to the other knurled post so both move the glass simultaneously.
If it was any other drive belt on the car, a quick fix. But alas, the windscreen frame is riveted together; apparently Audi figured it would outlast the life of the car?
I have read a few solutions and understand to bore out the rivets needed and replace with set screws or nut and bolt, but no clear direction on which ones; the motor side or stationary side, if it matters.

It seems like removing the two on one side would gain access to loop belt without taking the whole thing apart, but again, not sure if mounting bracket that traverses across the top has to be manipulated. It has a couple clips that seem to lock it into place.

Hopefully, one of Audi Forums finest will step up and shine a light on this.

I will be happy to post progress photos and detailed steps for all the other DIY people out there.

2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster _Black/Baseball Interior!

Old 05-04-2013, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

This is amazing....83 people have seen this post and not one reply or acknowledgement,
oh well, I tried to share, will proceed on my own.

I do understand no reason to respond if one does not have answer, so please do not slam me, no worries, will still post solution with photos upon completion if anyone interested.

See ya down the road, and please, Keep it Between the Ditches !

Old 08-10-2013, 12:20 PM
1st Gear

How did you make out? I am in the same boat searching for advice and pics myself.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:54 PM
1st Gear

I was able to figure it out and would be happy to share in detail. Was able to remove and replace the drive belt with minimal tools and some patience. I have the progress photos somewhere but didn't bother to post as no one took an interest to the procedure at the time. Let me know if you still need the info. thanks.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:38 PM
1st Gear

TTRIDER , I still need to fix mine, pics would be great, so I know what i'm getting into. You could mail them if posting is a problem.
Thank you for the help.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:34 AM
1st Gear

I will post tonight when I get in from work. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:01 AM
1st Gear
Default Interested as well

I am interested in your steps as well, please share!

Old 09-19-2013, 03:43 PM
1st Gear
Default How to replace spur toothed drive belt, rear windscreen

I just spent 20 minutes detailing every step, the site rebooted and my 10 step reply vanished. Will copy save before posting next time.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:21 PM
1st Gear
Smile Replacing drive belt for rear windscreen

I'm a new member who just bought a 2001 TT Quattro Roadster convertible and the first time I raised the windscreen it went up ok. But when I tried to lower the windscreen it stopped working half way down. Does anybody have pictures or a description on how to gain access to motor and gears to see what is wrong?

Old 10-13-2014, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

i posted instructions in a similar link

Quick Reply: Replacing Spur Toothed drive belt for rear windscreen