Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

RPM surging / low power issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 01:16 AM
1st Gear
Default RPM surging / low power issue

so i need help have a 2002 audi tt 1.8t fwd mk1 so the problem is that when im in 2nd or 3rd gear and i floor it it goes to 3k or 4k rpms and it does the thing it stops reving up high drops down a bit in rpm's i would say like 200 and starts going back up you can hear the turbo and the engine working hard but the car does not pull and the car only has 33k miles and i change oil regularly. now let me tell you my thoughts first i thought it was my clutch slipping then i thought it was my sparks then i thought it was the fule pump then the turbo bypass rod and after that the ECU or it might be the air regulator maybe the ecu is tricking it somehow. i need help to narrow this list down because i can only imagine how much its going to cost to change all the stuff i listed.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:48 PM

Hi, welcome to AudiForums.
I deleted a couple of your duplicate posts in the A4 section and made this new thread for you in the proper TT section.

To start with, it sounds like your TT has a manual transmission. When you're "in 2nd or 3rd gear and [you] floor it", the clutch pedal was already released, right?

If your RPMs change unusually compared to wheel speed, and the clutch is engaged then something in the driveline isn't quite working right. It could be the clutch slipping, which can happen if it became glazed from being treated poorly. If this is the case it can often be brought back to life by simply driving gently on the clutch for a few hundred miles... sort of like breaking in a clutch.