Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

so... how hard is it to swap out a k03s for another k03s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 09:03 PM
1st Gear
Default so... how hard is it to swap out a k03s for another k03s?

I have a lead on a freshly rebuilt k03s for $150 and seeing as my existing wastegate is smoked, i rather just replace the entire thing. how difficult of a job is this with just jacking the car up on stands and not having a shop do it? we tackled the timing belt, so how hard is this compared to that?

Old 01-25-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm make believe

if you can do a timing belt, this is a cake walk. Drain the oil and coolent, unbolt the dp, manifold, tip, oil/coolant lines and the bottome bolt holding in the ko3 and replace. Shouldnt take any longer than the TB job.

Just make sure you use TONS of PB Blaster (give it a few good hours if not a day to work), a 17mm open wrench and deep socket and a i belive 8mm allen wrench or socket and you should be fine.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:37 AM
1st Gear

do I need any special gaskets or new bolts to order or anything? I want to order them this week, so I can complete the job this weekend.

Also, this might be a K03 and not a K03s. Will that make any difference other than slightly less power?

I'm really irritated with my 180, and its been nothing but problems since I bought it. Once its all fixed and my CEL's are gone, I'm guessing I'm gonna dump it in the summer and pick up a 225 instead. :-)

Old 01-26-2009, 03:19 PM
2nd Gear

Just make sure you use TONS of PB Blaster (give it a few good hours if not a day to work)
Oddly enough, I got mine off without using anything other than a half inch ratchet with a tube on the end to multiply the torque on it. I think I used a 17mm wrench to get the one that's closest to the head...PBB oughta make it easier though. Make sure you unbolt the heat shield at the top else you'll have hell trying to reach.

Don't try and undo the lines off the turbo...just undo them off the block/oil pan/oil filter housing. It's easier. That's all I can think of.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

All you really need to buy would be the gaskets and washers.
An extra set of hands help too.

I just did mine last week, noticed the the mechanic that rebuilt the head reused a lot of stuff like gaskets, nuts, and washers.
The hole thing shouldnt take you more than 2 days if your dedicated.

GL

Last edited by vegastt; 01-26-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:47 PM
1st Gear

jeez, 2 whole days? I thought it would be like 8 bolts or something. lol. wishful thinking i guess.

so do i tear the manifold off, too? from what i read in the FAQ, it sounds like i only need the manifold gasket and can skip the others?

alternately, I might have a k04-20 with manifold instead of a k03. If this is the case, do i NEED to run some type of oil cooler or something? I know my 180 doesnt have the after-run cooler or something. would i be better going with this option than the k03? the K04 would have the manifold, and the downpipe flange.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm make believe

You dont need to use gaskets, i dont since they just blow out and cause leaks. Much easier w/o them. The only one you should run is the head to manifold.

You will need to remove the manifold to remove the turbo - 13 bolts. Its 3 bolts on the turbo, 4 bolts for the do, 2 bolts on the tip, and 1 on the bottom of the turbo. It really wont take 2 days unless you have hiccups like stripping bolts or something odd.

A ko3 wont harm anything, you shouldnt notice any power loss. If you get a ko4, you need EVERYTHING from a 225 to make it work. Turbo, dp, manifold, injectors, maf, and tuning for everything, looking at like $2k for that used.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:25 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by cincyTT
You dont need to use gaskets, i dont since they just blow out and cause leaks. Much easier w/o them. The only one you should run is the head to manifold.
I reinstalled my downpipe and forgot to reinstall the gasket the other day. My car smells like *** everywhere I go now...so I think they do have some purpose perhaps not as noticeable if you don't have a cat.

You will need to remove the manifold to remove the turbo - 13 bolts. Its 3 bolts on the turbo, 4 bolts for the do, 2 bolts on the tip, and 1 on the bottom of the turbo. It really wont take 2 days unless you have hiccups like stripping bolts or something odd.
Agreed, it should really only take a few hours...some are awkward to reach but that's it.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm make believe

did you actually clean the surfaces? My dp and turbo have 0 leaks and when i replaced the dp the gasket was blown badly and im sure leaked a little

Old 01-26-2009, 07:46 PM
1st Gear

there is a guy local to me from fortitude who has a turbo, DP, and manifold off an 07 passat.
here's the numbers off the turbo:

JH5
TWSP13NR5CW20
06J 145 713 A
090228035OE122026

I can get this off the guy fairly cheap, because he wants to get rid of it. will this work?

<edit> eh, that looks like its from a 2.0T. I wonder if that'd be a neat toy to pick up, regardless. Can i use the waste gate from it? :-)

Last edited by chosos; 01-26-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply: so... how hard is it to swap out a k03s for another k03s?