Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Thinking of buying a 2004 TT. Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Thinking of buying a 2004 TT. Need Advice

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of purchasing a Red 2004 TT 225hp Quattro. Overall the car looks great inside and out.
The only thing I have noticed on my testdrive is that at hard accelleration the RPMs dropped starting around
5500 rpms. I am thinking that it maybe a faulty Diverter Valve or maybe the MAF? I don't think it is the clutch because the
car overall accellerated well and only at random dropped rpms at the upper rpm range.

Any thoughts or advice on what it could be would be deeply appreciated. BTW, the car has about 51k miles on it
and seems to be stock without any visible mods.

Thanks again for any help.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:55 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Thinking of buying a 2004 TT. Need Advice

sounds like the TIP (turbo intake pipe) is collapsing. I've heard that this happens right around 5000rpm on TT's, especially chipped ones. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:00 PM
1st Gear

yes, it can happen with TIP. You can make a vizual control, somebody will push the gas pedal and you can watch the pipe.
You will probably enjoy the cat till its 80K and than you better sell it...

Old 10-07-2007, 11:10 PM
1st Gear

Which of the hoses is the TIP? Is it the Large Main hose on the left (Passenger side) that runs into the Intercooler? To my knowledge this car has not been chipped.
How much are replacement hoses? Could this perhaps be a faulty MAF or a DV?

What happens to the CAT at 80k? Should I just stay away from the TT? Sounds like there is a lot to be worried about.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:40 PM
4th Gear

at ~5500rpm thats when your hp starts going back down anyway... if you chip the car and get a boost controller youll notice a difference... itll pull harder and longer but will still inevitably drop down again... so yea, i think your experiencing the other side of the hill of peak hp

Old 10-08-2007, 01:42 AM
1st Gear

MAF and Diverter valve kind of work together, so its likely not that. You dont have the biggest turbo, so its not going to continue to pull hard to redline. Sounds like something completely normal to me. If your not experiencing a rapid, sudden loss of power or any MIL codes, then I would tell you thats a stock TT for ya.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:32 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: theTTkid

at ~5500rpm thats when your hp starts going back down anyway... if you chip the car and get a boost controller youll notice a difference... itll pull harder and longer but will still inevitably drop down again... so yea, i think your experiencing the other side of the hill of peak hp
Okay, even if the Power starts to level off at a certain rpm that doesn't mean that the rpms should suddenly drop 300-400 rpms. That doesn't make any sense.
Perhaps you guys don't understand me correctly. At accelleration around 5500 rpms the car suddenly drops to 5200-5100 rpms. I am sorry that just isn't normal.
It's not like it's bouncing off the rev limiter or anything. There is a definitely issue that not always. Meaning it happens at random. When I tried to accellerate more
slowly the rpms kept climing to 6000 rpms without any drop. Then 3 out of 5 times at WOT the rpms dropped back to 5100-5200 from around 5500 rpms.
I think there is either a leak in the hoses somewhere or the first couple of guys were right and that TIP hose is collapsing and choking off the air to the turbo.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:37 AM
4th Gear

oh oh my... i wiffed on that haha my b.... but now that you say it literally drops from like 5500 down to 51-52 im going to bet ona TIP too... it sounds about right because if you slowly accelerate and its fine vs. hard accelerating then in drops that could indicate the TIP collapsing... but now i understand what you mean... tricky

Old 10-08-2007, 10:33 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: tom1222

ORIGINAL: theTTkid

Okay, even if the Power starts to level off at a certain rpm that doesn't mean that the rpms should suddenly drop 300-400 rpms. That doesn't make any sense.
Perhaps you guys don't understand me correctly. At accelleration around 5500 rpms the car suddenly drops to 5200-5100 rpms. I am sorry that just isn't normal.
It's not like it's bouncing off the rev limiter or anything. There is a definitely issue that not always. Meaning it happens at random. When I tried to accellerate more
slowly the rpms kept climing to 6000 rpms without any drop. Then 3 out of 5 times at WOT the rpms dropped back to 5100-5200 from around 5500 rpms.
I think there is either a leak in the hoses somewhere or the first couple of guys were right and that TIP hose is collapsing and choking off the air to the turbo.

Ahhh yes, definitely sounds like a boost leak. Try the tennis ball method on it?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:43 PM
1st Gear

[/quote]

Ahhh yes, definitely sounds like a boost leak. Try the tennis ball method on it?

[/quote]
Is that where you throw a Tennis ball at the car and if it bounces back you are okay but if it just lands on the hood the
car sucks? [8D]

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 2004 TT. Need Advice