Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Time belt jumped alot of teeth...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:15 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Time belt jumped alot of teeth...

This goes back to the time belt scratch/ killer revealed thread. if you havent read that yet start there to follow the story.

When my Cam sprocket timing is lined up my crankshaft is at 7 oclock when it should be at 12.
The reason for the big teeth hump was because of the bit lodged between my timebelt cover and crank sprocket.

The car never started, and the belt never snapped. just a excessive load on the starter and damage in the middle of the belt and sprocket are all thats externally visible.

Im obviously looking at bent valves but what else do you think im looking at? new springs? with such a big jump are pistons too going to have to be replaced? the head all together???

Attached Thumbnails Time belt jumped alot of teeth...-img_0341.jpg   Time belt jumped alot of teeth...-0913101855.jpg   Time belt jumped alot of teeth...-img_0342.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 08:39 AM
I'm make believe

Should just be bent valves, possibly all 8 exhaust. The pistons may have makes on them but the can be sanded and reused

Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Tech Certified

I still can not see why the timing jumped. Bring the # 1 cylinder to tdc by removing # 1 spark plug , inserting long screwdriver , crank engine over by hand until piston is all the way up top & see where your cam mark is at this point.
It would make more sense if something was stopping the camshaft from moving but not the crankshaft. Remember the crankshaft is the master & the camshaft is the slave that is driven by the crankshaft.

Is it possible that someone tried turning the engine over by the camshaft bolt with the crankshaft stuck? That would make more sense.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:07 AM
1st Gear

when my cams are aligned my 1st cylinder is at the bottom. no one moved it by the cam, i was the only one who ever turned the engine. when i turn by the crank its very very difficult, the belt even slacks.

A valve kit is 300 but a guy said he will sell me his whole AMU head including the valves for 300. but if my cylinder walls are damged this will probably be the end of my TT. what a lame way to die.

to make things worse, my dad knows he dropped the bit, and he just shrugs his shoulders and says well good luck with that after i tell him you just @#$%ed my whole car up. I exhausted all my funds, watch my dad play my video games while i try to fix this, dropped out of school because the schedules to hard to make with this thing gone. story of my life. sorry had to vent somewhere.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm make believe

Pull the video games from your dad. The cyl walls should be fine. Use the good head, a rebuild will cost a bit. Find some help and get this running

Old 02-17-2012, 01:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cincyTT
Pull the video games from your dad.
Better yet, sell the games/system and have a little extra money as a buffer. Cars are much better than video games anyway.. IMO, of course.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:07 PM
1st Gear
Red face I most certainly would,

but then i have nothing to do when im waiting for the parts, lol.

My options:
1. cheapest, buy a used AMU head from a guy for 300. the pictures are below of the valves on his head, they seem okay but what do you guys think? sorry the pics are from his cam phone.

2. buy a used AEB head and see if i can fit it to my AMU block, idk if there compatible but it would be cool to end this process with a larger ported block. That way it will be even better after i finish my 3" DP, turbo back, race N75, giac tune. im not ever gonna go HUGE TURBO or anything serious, its my daily car.

3. Buy new valves. going to be $300 + Im really unconfident though on tearing my whole head down to replace valves. Ive only done that to a lawnmower.

Im tight on money so these are my only options

Attached Thumbnails Time belt jumped alot of teeth...-imagejpeg952.jpg   Time belt jumped alot of teeth...-imagejpeg953.jpg   Time belt jumped alot of teeth...-imagejpeg954.jpg   Time belt jumped alot of teeth...-imagejpeg955.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm make believe

Best solution is the replacement head. May even find one for less. Doesn't matter what it's off of, worst you may have to change the tensioner if it's a vvt car.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:21 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by JEDGE1.8T
when my cams are aligned my 1st cylinder is at the bottom. no one moved it by the cam, i was the only one who ever turned the engine. when i turn by the crank its very very difficult, the belt even slacks.

A valve kit is 300 but a guy said he will sell me his whole AMU head including the valves for 300. but if my cylinder walls are damged this will probably be the end of my TT. what a lame way to die.

to make things worse, my dad knows he dropped the bit, and he just shrugs his shoulders and says well good luck with that after i tell him you just @#$%ed my whole car up. I exhausted all my funds, watch my dad play my video games while i try to fix this, dropped out of school because the schedules to hard to make with this thing gone. story of my life. sorry had to vent somewhere.
So in the end.........what happened to you. ??