Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

TT brakes locked up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 01:31 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default TT brakes locked up!

was driving on the freeway about to hit traffic, then started to brake. after a few seconds the brakes locked up and skidded to a stop. good thing i didn't hit the car in front of me...

I suppose since i have this problem - http://www.audittcca.com/faq/1061552422

and my ABS/ESP was turned off, it had occurred. there a way to perma-on the ABS? thanks

Old 11-22-2006, 03:28 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: TT brakes locked up!

the brakes locked up, or you took threshhold braking a little too far and locked them up?

I'd be thankful if I could disable ABS on my car. Its idiot braking so people can steer (if they bother) while careening toward something in the road. If you're using it, its lenthening your stopping distance. Best to just learn that point where pressing any harder on the pedal will stop wheel rotation.

But back to your problem, was it a mechanical failure of the car, or were did you brake hard/late?

Old 11-22-2006, 03:46 AM
2nd Gear

Yeh, ABS can be good and bad, it got me into a wreck with my Jetta but kept me out of one in the TT. It also depends on the road conditions as to if its good or bad.

Old 11-22-2006, 04:41 AM
SoCal Crew Member

well if it were the threshold, then the TT's braking threshold sucks >_>

i figured it was the ABS system since it wasn't on. the pads on my brakes seem to be fine... but i noticed some slippage once they locked up while my foot was on the brake pedal.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:41 PM
1st Gear
Default TT brakes locked up

HELP!!

I have 2006 audi tt. Last week i drove it up the highway. Odd burning smell developed at end of trip. and brake pedal acted odd. I stopped for an appointment. 5 hours later, I drove back down the highway. Same smell. Car became noticibly difficult to drive. I did not realize what the problem was at the time. Kept driving.

I went stright to the mechanic from my appoointment - I didn't even bother to go home. As I pulled in to the shop, the mechanic saw me and yelled that my emergency brakes were on! They weren't.

Apparently all 4 brakes locked up as I was driving on the highway (and stayed locked up on the local roads after I got off the highway). Brakes are now shot.

Mechanic suspects a faulty power booster (he said he read fault codes off the computer but he did not specify which fault codes). Mechanic is unable to diagnose cause of problem. And he is unabe to reproduce the problem. So the brakes have not locked up for him.

Mechanic is giving me back the car. Does no want to replace brakes wuthout knowing root cise (I don't blame him). But I need to know the root cause right away, so I can get this resolved!! please help!!!

As an aside, 2 days before this problem developed, the mechanic replaced a faulty brake sensor switch.