Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Warranty repair -> out-of-pocket cost ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Default Warranty repair -> out-of-pocket cost ?

Question... hoping and assuming that in some form or fashion there is a Audi technician of some sort that frequents this board in the United States, this question is in regards to what was to be a warranty repair, but in which I am being told that the possibility of a $700 pressure plate/clutch disc and throw-out bearing may be needed sometime in the future - does that cost seem correct for the clutch? Is there a more affordable aftermarket alternative that can be used in the stocker's place without voiding the warranty on the transmission?

The transmission had to be pulled from my 2001 TT QUATTRO, that I've had for only two months and bought pre-owned/certified from The Collection in Miami, FL. They had to order a $6,000 transmission replacement from Studtgardt last week. Thank God I bought the warranty.

Obviously the clutch assembly is a wearable item, just like brakes, but the $700 pricetag seems a little steep - if I had to pay that much, I would rather get something that would hold up to a little abuse.

Old 10-19-2005, 08:45 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Warranty repair -> out-of-pocket cost ?

well... Not a technician, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night! : )

From ECS tuning (first hit I came across)....

OEM Luk Clutch Kit-240mm
Fits OEM 6-Speed Gear boxes only
Includes the following parts:

LUK OEM pressure plate

LUK OEM clutch disc

Pressure plate bolts

$329.95

Throwout bearing is probably going to run about $100 according to a quick online search.

Figure Audi to overcharge on everything they can, so $700 is probably reasonable... for them. I have no clue how hard it would be on a transverse engine, the only clutch I've ever done was on a older Geo Tracker, but that wasn't too bad. I have ALOT of tools that make things easier though, you may not.

Maybe Audi was going to put a ECS Stage III clutch in for you, thats $800, alot closer to what they quoted you for. ; )

Really though, I'm not a technician, I just have no warranty, so I do all my own work. I don't trust those bastards anyway.