Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

What turbo is this? Is it rebuildable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:30 PM
1st Gear
Default What turbo is this? Is it rebuildable?

I bought this turbo on Ebay a while back and immediately ruined the turbo because of drainback problems so i haven't really gotten to use it. Acually, rebuild twice where parts were replaced with aftermarket. Thought it was a faulty turbo and it was my fault. But i tore it apart and below are the pics I took and then the info that I've gathered in a few random notes I made. It was advertised as a precision gt3076r which I now know doesn't make sense so I'm not 100% on what it is. The golden question though is can it be rebuilt. It seems to have a cartridge bearing kind of seup.

Ok first pic you can see that the turbine bearing is a journal bearing... which from what I've found so far everything says that a gt3076r was a dual ball bearing.

Name:  0716121448.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  78.6 KB

The bearing section on the intake side is a bearing cartridge that is held in with a bolt-on thrust plate, which again from what I've found in searches it says a gt3076r has pressed in bearings that do not require a thrust bearing.

Name:  0716121446.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  95.2 KB

You can see here the bearing cartrage and the thrust plate and the cap that holds everything in. The washer with the notch in it went into the chra before the bearing.

Name:  0716121445.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  60.2 KB

Ok, all the info:

Compressor Wheel:

Inducer
57.54mm measured with calipers

Exducer:
75.93mm

I found a 58mm x 76mm compressor wheel online, but the blades are damaged from contacting the housing so the blades may have been grinded down that far maybe? Advertised 60mm.

Listing info when I bought it:

COMPRESSOR HOUSING - .60 A/R 3’’ INLET 2.5’’OUTLET
COMPRESSOR WHEEL - 60MM (60-1)
EXHAUST HOUSING - T3 .63 A/R , 4 BOLTS
EXHAUST WHEEL - STAGE

YOU ARE BIDDING IS A FACTORY REBUILD PRECISION TURBO GT3076R BALL BEARING,THIS TURBO SUPORT 350-600HP,THE TURBO WAS BALANCED WITH V.S.R MACHINE FOR MORE DURABILITY, OVER 60,000 RPM (30 PLUS PSI OF BOOST) THE EXHAUST HOUSING IS PAINTED WITH HIGH TEMPERATURE POWDER COATING FOR REDUCE THE EXCESS OF HEAT IN THE EXHAUST THIS TURBO WORKS EXCELLENT IN 4 ,6CYL AND MOTORCYCLES.

Has GT3076RLE etched on the compressor housing.

I sent this turbo back after it failed and they rebuilt it and changed the housings and wheels. It seems that it's still the origional compressor housing but the compressor wheel, turbine wheel, and turbine housing I know for sure were replaced. So I hope that they didn't throw some garbage in there they had laying around... but I'm conscerned that I have a journal bearing gt3076r at the same time.

I can use the calipers to measure the housings and turbine wheel later, maybe this is enough for someone to recognise what it is in the meantime. I would hope that it were a garret or a precision at least. But can I rebuild it? Is there a kit somewhere for this thing?

Last edited by warpedhalo; 07-16-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:21 PM
1st Gear

Ok, had gpop shop take a look and they said it's a chineese ball bearing turbo. Not too thrilled about that but at the same time hopeful. I am running a china charger now and it's doing well. I like this one though and would like to run this one because it's bigger and water cooled. So, still, does anyone know if this is rebuildable or at least where to get the thrust bearing. Can I replace the ball bearing with a journal bearing somehow if need be? I mostly want water cooled and rebuildable. So this'll work if someone can help me out.