Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Window, radio, signals and rear defroster

Old 01-10-2006, 03:50 AM
Default Window, radio, signals and rear defroster

Hello,
I am new to this forum and have read through all the postings in order not to duplicate any questions. I have a 2002 Convertible TT, which I have owned for a year. (By the way, I am female, took the poll!) I am having problems with a few things that have made me think I have a serious electrical problem. After reading these postings I'm feeling a little better.
As with many of you, I'm having the turn signal problem, but I understand about the relay switch and will get that replaced. That's been happening for a few months now, (I'm a starving student and was afraid to even have it looked at!) but this weekend I started having problems with my radio. I got into the car and the face was lit up, but no words were on, no sound came out and no buttons worked (would not turn on or off). On Saturday, I checked all the fuses, all fine and then disconnected the battery cables hoping to reset things. After that, I was able to eject the CD and the radio turns off, but when on, the word SAFE is on the face. Can anyone explain this to me? Is it related to the relay switch?
During the same time as my turn signals have been out, the driver's side window has been failing to roll down when I open the driver's side door. It works fine at all other times and every once in a while will come down and the passenger window works fine. Any ideas?
Finally, my rear window defroster does not seem to be working. Is this going to cost me a fortune?
I am in Reno, Nevada. Does anyone know a TRUSTWORTHY mechanic in this area, who is good with the TT? Does anyone live here who might help me with little things, (like relays) I would be happy to pay for services and I am handy and helpful, just not knowledgeable!
Appreciate any help, nice to meet fellow TT owners!
Thanks, Lori

Old 01-10-2006, 07:15 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Window, radio, signals and rear defroster

The SAFe on your radio happens when it loses power, which happened when you disconnected the battery. All you have to do is enter the code that came with your radio and it will come on again. This is an anti theft thing. If you dont know the code the audi dealer can look it up for you but it may or may not cost a few dollars. Not sure about the other things. The windows do have a thing about holding the window button up or down for a few seconds to kinda reset it, check it out in the owners book, I saw it in there before.

Steve

Old 01-10-2006, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

The problem with the window not droping when you open the door

This could be a door contact switch

Easy way to check is open the door with the ignition on and see if the cluster says the door is open

Old 01-22-2006, 05:41 PM

Hi, you were so right! I finally got around to checking and my door open light doesn't come on, so it must be the contact. What do I do now? Do you know where the contact is located? Is it a matter of cleaning or do I need to replace it? Thanks a lot!

Old 01-23-2006, 08:01 PM
5th Gear

Well, I'd try cleaning/adjusting it first, and if that doesn't do it, you can always replace it. (doesn't cost a dime to clean it at least)