B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

01 Audi A4 1.8t Engine help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:19 PM
1st Gear
Default 01 Audi A4 1.8t Engine help

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble trying to get my car to turn over. I've changed the sparks and the head gasket as well, it cranks but won't start. I want to say that it could be the fuel pump relay or something to do with the fuel system but cant be sure. I was wondering if anyone else with experience under the same problem might know. Hope to hearing from you guys soon! Thank you!

Saul

Old 09-22-2014, 12:58 PM
2nd Gear

Is it throwing codes?

Do you have VCDS?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:55 PM

I don't have much personal experience with this sort of thing, but there are a number of diagnostic things I would do in this situation:

1) check spark; pull a spark plug out and push it into the coil pack. Allow the body of the plug to touch some exposed metal part of the engine. Crank the engine and check for arcing at the plug tip. (make sure to stand far enough away that you don't get shocked)

2) check fuel; this could be a tricky one because there are a number of components. I would probably start by checking voltage at the terminal attached to the fuel pump relay behind the knee bolster. If it sees power while the engine is cranking, then the fuel pump relay is good. If the relay is good, you can check for fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge attached to the appropriate fuel line in the engine bay.

3) check air flow measurement; there is a MAF sensor in the air box which monitors air flow into the engine. If this is not functioning properly then the engine may not start, or it may allow the engine to start but die shortly thereafter.

There are a number of causes for no-start conditions. One simple fix (for example) would be replacing a bad crankshaft position sensor; in this case a symptom may be no spark. I'm not suggesting this is the problem with your engine, merely that you should diagnose the symptoms first.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:14 AM
1st Gear

I had just installed new spark plugs, but again the coil packs could be faulty too so Ill try that. Also, I had checked the fuel pump relay and it looked a little burnt, but I'll check for voltage just to make sure for sure. I haven't checked the MAF at all so I will get on that as well.

I have no idea how to check for codes, I'm assuming I have to get a code reader? Plus, the screen on my audi where the check engine stuff is at is jammed, so I'd have to check replace that as well. What do you guys use to read codes? Thanks again for all the help, this is my first Audi and would hate to give up on it.

Saul

Old 09-23-2014, 09:21 AM
2nd Gear

Go to your neighborhood parts store and ask them to pull the codes for you before you spend anymore money.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:40 PM
1st Gear

Would I have to take the car to the parts store? The car isn't turning over and won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Could I just buy a code reader and do it that way? Then move forward from there? Thanks,

Saul

Old 09-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Yes you can do that. You said you replaced the head gasket. That means you removed the timing belt. Have you absolutely verified that the timing is set correctly after the reassembly? As in, line up the marks, tension the belt, recheck the marks, hand-rotate the engine two revolutions of the crank, and verify that the marks still line up? If so, then yes, look into the other stuff. But this type of no-start, after a timing belt removal, sounds like the engine is timed incorrectly. The belt on a 1.8T tends to move a tooth on the cam mark when the tensioner is applied, and when I do them, i bias the cam forward a tooth before tensioning the belt, so the cam is pulled into the proper position by the tension. I would pull the bumper, core, and timing covers and be sure that all the timing marks line up properly.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:03 AM
2nd Gear

+1..............

Old 09-24-2014, 10:55 PM
1st Gear

When I change the timing belt, do I have to replace the tensioner or can it be reused? I tried to place an allen wrench into the slot but it won't budge. I'll check that the engine is aligned, cant remember if it was. Thanks a lot guys. I think I'm going to enjoy working with you guys in this Forum.

Saul

Old 09-24-2014, 11:01 PM
1st Gear

Also, how do you make sure if the belt is properly tensioned?

Quick Reply: 01 Audi A4 1.8t Engine help