B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1996 A4 12v 1.8t Swap

Old 10-21-2008, 09:05 AM
1st Gear
Default 1996 A4 12v 1.8t Swap

First off I want to say I was sure coming here that someone would have attempted this swap but I searched and searched and haven't found anything on a 1.8t swap : /

Here is my story - I bought a 1996 Audi A4 2.8L 12v - Of course I didn't do my research prior and spent all my money on exhaust (3" from exhaust manifold with high flow cat and muffler) and B5 body kit with Z3 Fenders Projector headlights and Euro altezza tails - Regardless my funds were exhausted on these mods and after some "spirited driving" I blew the head gasket and heater core

As it sits - the engine top end is taken apart and I have the head gasket and heater waiting to go in

I have always wanted to turbo charge it but after some research I have found that the 12v is hard to turbo and is costly - so I am in a predicament - I want a 1.8t but I dont have the money to outright buy a 1.8t car - I have the time and knowledgeable friends to help with a swap but I need to know what modifications would be required or if this is even doable - and if so would I be able to bolt up to the 2.8l tranny or would that need to be swapped out - I would like to keep it fwd for cost purposes

Also - if this is not a reasonable idea - would it be beneficial since I have the heads off at this time to get them ported and polished

Im very sorry if I missed a similar post about a 1.8l swap but I feel I needed to express my situation in an idividual post

Thank you for any advice - your help and knowledge is greatly appreciated

Old 10-21-2008, 09:24 AM
4th Gear

i remember some one saying once the 2.8 manual trans bolts up perfectly to the 1.8t manual engine..

the 12v is slow no matter what, so your best bet would be to get your 2.8 back up and running and sell it and buy a manual fwd 1.8t it would save you alot of work and time

Old 10-21-2008, 09:37 AM
1st Gear
Default Assuming selling the car isnt an option...

I would really like to keep this particular car if at all possible - it is a manual 5spd

Also - with head work would it help much performance wise or would taking the time to do the 1.8t swap be much more beneficial

Thanks for your time

Old 10-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Tech Guru

It depends. Do you want to hit a peak then stop or keep building? If you just want a bit more power get the port and polish job and maybe a valve job just tighten up any slack. If you want to keep building and eventually get a 600hp (or whatever) 1.8T like sean1.8t then sell it and get a 1.8T. Keep the quattro though.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Site Moderator

Get it running and sell it. You'd need a new ecu, main harness, radiator/front end intercooler piping, exhaust, mounts, airbox, and bunch of other little stuff to do the swap that makes it not worthwhile. If you think you could get at least a couple thousand out of it when fixed, you could find a decent high mileage 1.8tqm for that if you search hard enough.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:58 PM
1st Gear
Default I have thought about that...

Selling it for a 1.8t is an option im seriously considering but Im also trying to see what kinda costs im looking at to do the swap - I have a friend who works with audi's and can get me most of the required parts fairly cheap and he also can do the work - he has just never done this swap before so he asked me to look into everything - if anyone has the time or knows of a post that explains what must be done to do this swap - any hard modifications or any hard to find parts that would make this difficult please let me know

Again I thank all of you for your input - : )

Old 10-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Site Moderator

Engine (assuming it comes with all parts, sensors, turbo, manifolds, water pump, etc.
ECU
Main harness
Clutch/pressure plate maybe flywheel (would be stupid to not do this with the engine out)
Radiator
Airbox
MAF
Intercooler/turbo plumbing hoses/DV, etc.
Throtle body hose/boot
Exhaust including cat and down pipe
02 sensors
AC condensor, alternator and starter might be different
Other stuff I cant think of

All that stuff alone would cost way over $3k alone, not to mention the cost of all the fluids, lubricants, and tools not on hand. So just save up $3k, sell your car and get a nice newer tqm. You obviously haven't had your car in the snow before. This car with fwd sucks in the snow even with decent snow tires. In fact all fwd Audi's are that way. Very nose heavy with how far forward they have the engine. The extra weight and operation of the awd components really ground the car which is nice even on dry pavement. Sell it!

Old 10-23-2008, 01:18 PM
1st Gear

Ok, well after talking it over with my fiance we have come to the conclusion that we will take it one step at a time. First thing, we are replacing the head gasket and heater core. Are you aware of anything I may have over looked as far as parts. I have all the necessary tools, engine gasket set, heater core. Also, how much performance gain would I get if I got the heads ported and polished. I have High flow cats and 3" exhaust all the way back and I would throw a CAI on it to supplement the porting if you guys think that would help. Most likely I will drive this car for about 6 months to a year after I get the work done and then sell or trade it in on something else.
Thanks again for your advice : )

Old 10-23-2008, 01:27 PM
4th Gear

after your done, you might have the fastest 12v around... get a PES G2 supercharger when your done too....

Old 10-23-2008, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

That would be pretty cool : )
I am not opposed to that - any idea on what type of performance I could get with and without SC

also any ideas on my previous post?
"Ok, well after talking it over with my fiance we have come to the conclusion that we will take it one step at a time. First thing, we are replacing the head gasket and heater core. Are you aware of anything I may have over looked as far as parts. I have all the necessary tools, engine gasket set, heater core. Also, how much performance gain would I get if I got the heads ported and polished. I have High flow cats and 3" exhaust all the way back and I would throw a CAI on it to supplement the porting if you guys think that would help. Most likely I will drive this car for about 6 months to a year after I get the work done and then sell or trade it in on something else."

Thanks again : )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 A4 12v 1.8t Swap