B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1999 audi a4 1.8t just a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Default 1999 audi a4 1.8t just a couple questions

Hey im new to this form, and i been reading a couple posts and it seems like people are queit nice around here.

I been looking at a 1999 audi a4 1.8t with about 108,000 for around $4500. Now in my eyes i wouldnt pay $4500, i havent talked to the dude yet becasue im still currently saving a couple bucks. But i would pay $3500.

I was just asking once and if i get this car, what should i do to give me the extra boost, or fun ride?

I looked into:
apr chip $450.00
Item # SC SA593(Spec Stage 3 Performance Kit for 1996-01 (B5) Audi A4)$458
K&N 57I SERIES GENERATION I $156.45
Borla Exhaust System $676.66
Jhm short shifter $230
engine rebuild(in time) $995.00

Theirs still the suspention adn everything else but just throw me some ideas thanks guys and ladies!!

Attached Images      

Last edited by Canadiana4lover; 07-01-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Just fixing some of the prices
Old 06-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Default pics

heres some pics

Attached Images      
Old 06-30-2010, 06:14 PM
2nd Gear

Well, if it's quattro, kbb.com said its worth 4800. If its FWD, then its worth 3080. Honestly, if you get a chip, DV, boost gauge, and exhaust you'll have alot of fun. These cars are capable of going BT for a couple grand and it makes it into a whole different animal. If you can get 3500 that would be great. Keep in mind that there is a 100,000 mile service that should be done. Check to see when the timing belt and water pump was done. Basically, get a good service record for it cause if some of those things werent done, you'll definetly have some bargaining room.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Tech Guru

i agree with joe...... as for your list kind of like he said..... tuning/dv/boost guage for first mods, check the classifieds for dv and tune..... defiantly find out about maintenance and if they can't prove what has been done, you have room to bargain or move on.... i would also look into upgraded side mount inner cooler or a front mount

Old 06-30-2010, 08:53 PM
2nd Gear

Neuspeed Short Shifter at $404.96? Typo?

Do short shifters actually do anything for these cars? I've seen WRX's, Imprezzas, 3000GTs, Eclipse's, etc and they are high compared to the stock shifter in my 1999.0

Old 07-01-2010, 02:09 AM

the short shifters make u hit ur gear way sooner so ur foot wouldnt b on the clutch as long so ur already in 2ed as the other person still is switching...

and u sed something about Dv? wat does that do if u dont mind me asking.. and about the boost gange does that even really matter that much? i was going to get it, that was just a given lol

And joe if u dont mind answering.. wats the difference from the 2001 and the 1999? is it the tiptronic trans?? i heard those can b a pain in the bum.. just asking..
i looked up the water punp only $53 or somethign and a new timing belt $30 but if i would have to replace everything than $160.. my proces might not b right on..

Last edited by Canadiana4lover; 07-01-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:42 AM
2nd Gear

Keep in mind the labor cost if you're not doing the work by yourself.... and you'll need a little more than just the belt and water pump to do the t-belt job.

Even with only 100K miles ( I say only because I've got 245K on mine) you'll still need to be concerned with the mainainence things it will need before you start modding the hell out of it. these cars can be a bit expensive to keep on the road. And in the end, a VW with the same mileage and condition will still sell for more for some reason, don't know what's going on with the market on these things.

I have a '99 quattro sport 1.8t that no one seems willing to give me $3K for. Guess I'm married to it forever.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:19 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Skythe
Neuspeed Short Shifter at $404.96? Typo?

Do short shifters actually do anything for these cars? I've seen WRX's, Imprezzas, 3000GTs, Eclipse's, etc and they are high compared to the stock shifter in my 1999.0
Yeah that price doesn't seem to be right seeing that THE best short shifter kit on the market for an A4 is the JHM and it retails for $230.

If you plan on chipping the car and driving it hard go with a better clutch then a stage 1. I would suggest at least a stage 2 or stage 3, something like the CM FX200/FX300 or SB HD-TZ/SS-TZ. IF you want a clutch that feels just like stock then the CM kit is what you want.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by 99A4NOW
Keep in mind the labor cost if you're not doing the work by yourself.... and you'll need a little more than just the belt and water pump to do the t-belt job.

Even with only 100K miles ( I say only because I've got 245K on mine) you'll still need to be concerned with the mainainence things it will need before you start modding the hell out of it. these cars can be a bit expensive to keep on the road. And in the end, a VW with the same mileage and condition will still sell for more for some reason, don't know what's going on with the market on these things.

I have a '99 quattro sport 1.8t that no one seems willing to give me $3K for. Guess I'm married to it forever.
Thanks for the advise guys.. and i did add in the engine rebuild.. u dont think that would b enough to make sure my engine would run as long as yours? the tranny is stil in the back of my mind. a lot of ppl out there dont kno how to drive stick, and when they do get a stick which they dont know how to drive they drive it hard.

And mike would u have any other ideas that i shud do to my car first to make it kinda beastly? And could somone help me wit the "dv" no idea what that is lol.
The hole thing is my friend has a ls1 camaro the one wit the vet engine and he thinks hes cool and "american muscle" attitude, keep in my he granny shifts lol. i just wanna **** on him wit a 4 banger.. and a sexy 4 banger at that

Old 07-01-2010, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

It's a consensus around here that the first thing you should do to make your car "kinda beastly," is to search for GIAC and get your ECU reprogrammed with more aggressive software for approximately $500. When you do this, there is no telling when it will happen, your Diverter Valve (also known as dv) will most likely be blown off due to the increased pressure your turbo is producing for you... to remedy this, people get an aftermarket dv straight away to avoid it from ever happening (the company 'Forge' is popular) for another ~$150.

This process will make your car faster than it was, but it won't beat your friend's camaro... corvette engine or not. If you want to beat a camaro, you need to look into buying a larger turbo and a better exhaust system.

Quick Reply: 1999 audi a4 1.8t just a couple questions