B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2000 A4 Avant 1.8t - Need help identifying this part/problem (combination valve?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 11:24 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation 2000 A4 Avant 1.8t - Need help identifying this part/problem (combination valve?)

I'm pretty new to the forum, and I need your help figuring out what problem I'm looking at. I don't know what this piece is so I'm having trouble finding resources to fix it.

The background: while on the way home one day there was a loud pop and the car started running rough and super loud like the exhaust cracked. Once I got the car to my garage, I was able to find where the noise and exhaust fumes were coming from.

The problem: the first picture is meant to help orient you to where the problem is in the engine bay.

The second picture is a better shot from a slightly different angle. Trying to explain it over the phone to a local mechanic, he said this might be the combination (combi) valve. I haven't been able to verify that.

This last picture shows the actual problem. When the car is running, there is exhaust fumes and noise that pour out the blackened area on the bottom. It looks to me like either a hose or a plug is meant to cover the hole. I have no loose or dangling tubes, so I think maybe a cap of some sort blew out.

Can anyone help me identify which part this is and what is supposed to block the hole?

Old 07-03-2016, 11:41 AM
2nd Gear

Yes, that's your combi-valve. You're missing a short, elbow-like hose that connects to the black (metal) tube that runs directly underneath and along the same route as the upper black (metal) tube alongside the valve cover. The other end of that tube should be connected to a hose that runs down to the bottom of the engine (I forgot what part it connects to, but it's the large, plastic, turbo-looking EGR or Vacuum component).

I can take pics if you need me to, but it should be pretty obvious once you look for it..

LMK if I can help further.

G/L

Old 07-05-2016, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

Excellent! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll take a look when I get in this evening and see what I can find.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:35 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by petemcw
Excellent! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll take a look when I get in this evening and see what I can find.
My pleasure.

G/L

Old 03-23-2018, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

I have the same issue described above. I am missing the same elbowed hose. I don't see one there currently and I've looked all over. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:21 PM
2nd Gear

(Don't blindly order this without checking yourself because I don't own a 1.8 but I think it's this: )

Amazon Amazon

or

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...se/058133785b/

default part#: 058 133 785 B

Also, I believe you'll still need to connect that elbow to a silver metal pipe that either goes into the intake or into the secondary air pump... Can't remember which.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:22 PM
2nd Gear

If you can show me a picture of what you're missing, I should be able to tell you exactly what's going on.

I would take a pic of my setup for you, but mine's modded (air pump delete, DV relocated, etc.).

Old 03-24-2018, 03:18 PM
1st Gear

It looks like I'm missing the l-shaped knuckle that comes off that Valve and then the tube that comes off of the knuckle going downward. I also need to know what/where the downward tube goes. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

There are 2 outlets coming off of the "Combi-Valve" toward the passenger side of the car. The top one comes out and does run to the secondary Air Injection Pump. That one is routed along the head and then cuts over towards the airbox. That one is there complete and functional. The Outlet that has me scratching my head is the lower outlet shown in the last picture above. When the car is running, exhaust comes out of it and sounds like exhaust leak. I have looked throughout the engine compartment for something to connect it to with no luck. I have gone online to potentially buy a new combi-valve and most of the valves that I see don't have that bottom outlet on it. Not sure if the sellers are just posting a standard valve for illustration or what. Again, any tutelage would be appreciated here.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:05 PM
2nd Gear

I just looked at mine and I don't have that port either. Judging from the carbon buildup, I'd say it's EGR related.Personally, I'd just block it off and see how the car runs.