B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2000 Audi A4 1.8T Heat, blinkers, windshield wipers, fog lights, and rear defroster

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:43 PM
1st Gear
Default 2000 Audi A4 1.8T Heat, blinkers, windshield wipers, fog lights, and rear defroster

Their not working. They will come on and off as they please. They initially stopped working when i couldnt get my hood open and i went to a family friend who owns a body shop to get it open. He did and he sprayed WD-40 on the hinge. Some did get on the engine but im thinking that this would have nothing to do with the conflicting problem. As i said they come on and off as they please. Sometimes shutting off and turning on the car will fix the problem for a little while but now its below freezing out and we will be getting a massive snow storm tomorrow and my luck being i have to work on a friggan sunday... I will be departing from work right in the worst part of the storm and having no windshield wipers or heat will be a disaster. A little more insight on the problem, my four ways do work. Everything else in the car is functional. No turn signal lights are blown. Please i need some help.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Default Same Issue

Hi Sir
I have the same issue since last night,
I was wondering if you found the problem,

Thank you,

Old 02-18-2009, 11:19 PM
2nd Gear

hmm electrical problem with an Audi, go figure. At any rate you're going to have to track down where those wires intersect in the wiring harness. all the way from the 5000's to the 90 I've had wiring problems with Audi's. If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll get my 3 lashings but I'm fairly sure you're gonna need a wiring diagram and a short finder( whichever kind you choose). Probably going to be around the false firewall to behind the dash guessing from which systems are affected, but you never know until you trace the wires. Hence the need for wiring diagrams. I had the strangest issue of locks, dash lights and other items that was finally located in the trunk wiring harness on the 90 I owned.

Last edited by jiggleo; 02-18-2009 at 11:20 PM. Reason: too drunk to type
Old 02-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Yeah that doesn't sound too unreasonable. No lashings from me lol. I had to have part of my wiring harness replaced because the bit that went to the ICM shorted. I was pissed. I can't think of anything all of those different electrical components have in common besides the wiring harness.. The blinker switch is seperate from the wiper switch, which is seperate from the fog light switch, which is seperate from the defroster switch.

The intermittent nature of the problem makes me lean more towards short than a blown fuse, but check anyway just because.

Also, I doubt the WD-40 had anything to do with anything, the stuff doesn't even conduct electricity.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:04 PM

Hi Guys thanks a million it was the load reduction relay,
This Article made my day : http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec130.shtml
Good luck!

Old 02-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Site Moderator

Audi wiring is complicated and somewhat less than resilient. To me there is nothing more frustrating that electrical issues with a vehicle.

Good to see you got it figure out.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:34 PM

Use the Search feature on ignition switch and combination switch and see if one of these things sounds like your problem and get back to us.