B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Timing Belt change and loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Default Timing Belt change and loss of power

I just had my timing belt changed on a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T (with a performance chip). It seems like it has lost some power... a bit softer when I hit the gas in all gears, but more noticeable in 3, 4 and 5. It is a very subtle change (my wife would not even notice). Also, the instantaneous mpg readout on the dash is now erratic. No CELs (yet...)

My first thought is that it might be off 1 tooth. The question I have is would a slightly incorrect 1 tooth error in timing be more noticeable or would it be as subtle as I've described? Could it have something to do with cleared fuel maps? I guess it could also be a new vacuum leak.

Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 04-30-2009, 08:28 PM
3rd Gear

you need a boost gauge to quantify this power loss. what chip do you have? is it possible it just reverted to the stock setting when they pulled the battery for the timing belt job? the MPG readout isnt exactly accurate to begin with, and can be affected by a few things. there is also a large difference between no CEL and no codes. go have your codes scanned.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have a boost gage available to me. The chip is from Autothority in Alexandria Va. I bought the car with it already installed (I believe it is fairly mild with less than 1 bar boost, but I don't have details). It felt ok over stock, but didn't knock my socks off. I've been driving it ~ 1year. I don't know if it could have reverted back to stock (I'll try to call Autothority to find out).

I'm not worried about an accurate MPG readout (never look at it), but I mentioned it because it was definitly acting different after the belt change.

I realize details are sketchy, but I'm really just trying to educate myself as much as possible in term of possible causes. When I talk to the mechanic, I want to be able to throw the BS flag if he tries to blow me off.

Is there any "easy" way to check if the timiing belt is correctly installed aside from taking the front end off again?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:54 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Dodger150
Is there any "easy" way to check if the timiing belt is correctly installed aside from taking the front end off again?
If it runs smoothly at idle, the belt is installed correctly. There's not a lot of room for error here. Either it would run terribly, or not at all if the belt was off. If you want to be more than sure, run a compression test. You can rent a gauge from your local AutoZone.