B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

96 a4 b5 v6 - a/c leaking into passenger footwell, wet carpet

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 11:22 PM
1st Gear
Default 96 a4 b5 v6 - a/c leaking into passenger footwell, wet carpet

ok so i've been searching all over trying to find someone who has explained this a bit better than "unclog the a/c condensor drain pipe" or "pull back the carpet and clean the valve in the drain pipe" etc.

after having a heck of a stupid time getting the glove box out (i dunno if it was due to what the guys that did before me to replace the blower motor or what, but this was the biggest frustration to get out.. ) i can now see the evaporator case and the blower motor, on the bottom deep far left corner of the evaporator case there is a foam circle around where the case looks to form a pipe connection out towards the firewall. the carpet goes up past the evaporator case against the firewall and is a real pita to pull down/bend back, and i doubt i'd get to see much under the carpet since the carpet goes under the stereo/environmental center console/dash. i'd have to cut the carpet (i think) to pull it back much (correct me if i'm wrong)

so the water is leaking down the carpet off that far deep left corner. it only happens when the a/c is on, so it's definately related to some broken seal or stuck/gunked up valve/pipe.

does anyone have some advice on what to do that this point? there's alot of crap behind/in that evaporator case... and i'm also worried that the main evaporator seal might get ruined if i pull the evaporator box (if that's even possible to pull out..)

so whats the best approach to diagnosing this and making it so i dont have a puddle of water from the front to back seats when the a/c is on for a good while?

at least i got one stupid thing done and changed the cabin air filter today..

i went to genuineaudiparts to find the parts ive been staring at..

http://genuineaudiparts.com/schematics/1/1396060.gif

1-evaporator case

thanks,
-bay

Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 PM
1st Gear

Your Drain is plugged Most Likely. The Litte Foam think there is your Drain for the Condenser.

On top of that, your Cabin Air Filter housing might be broken. In other words, the Rain Spout is not sending the Rain away from the Cabin Filter when it rains and pretty much goes right in your Cabin Condensor Housing.

First, fixt the Source of the water, 2. See if you can stick something in the Exit Flap located behing the Shield ( Fire Wall) and move things around inside.

Worst Case is that you have to pull the Heater/Condensor Assembly apart and clean it. You might be able to pull the Fan Motor Out and have access to it but not good one.

Good Luck.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:23 AM
1st Gear

so what do i do with the foam piece, it seems like its wedged in there good, i'm not sure how to remove/look inside that area without cutting the foam out to see better..

does it drain back through the firewall, or does it goto some tube that goes under the carpet (as i've read but somewhat confused with..)

is there a way to unclog this from the outside/bottom of the car?

Old 07-11-2011, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

It is a little Flap on the Fire Wall. If you can get to it, put some HP Air in it. But, there should not be water there in the first place. Look at your Cabin Air Filter Assembly and see if it is broken or not. Water is supposed to be be diverted.