B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

98 A4 2.8 Quarttro Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:41 PM
1st Gear
Default 98 A4 2.8 Quarttro Valve Covers

I cant seem to get the gaskets to seal.
I have changed them twice. First time I used alot of RTV Sealer and it leaked all over.
Then I replaced the chain tenioner gaskets and the half moon seals, also the cam seals. And I only put some RTV Sealer under the gaskets at the bottom corners of the valve covers. No Leaks at all for the first few days. Then the leaks started again.
Is there a better Sealer to use for these valve cover gaskets.
Maybe the Permatex High Temp Form a Gasket with Copper?
I still loosing to much oil and its stinking up the inside of the car and when I stop alot of smoke out the front from the engine compartment.
Is there a PCV or other can has to do with the ventilation of the engine that be causing excessive pressure? If you have any expierence with these valve covers and can advise me, Please Do...

Old 07-02-2013, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear

Very little sealant is required. Only in the tight corners. You should replace the outer gasket, spark plug rings, chain tensioner, half moon and cam caps.

At the same time, you should also take a look at your PCV system. It is composed of several corrugated, plastic hoses that can get clogged, crack, etc. There's a long one that runs from the front of the passenger valve cover to the rear of the driver's side. There is another from the crank case below the throttle body and then the actual valve and suction pump adjacent the the throttle body. All of this tubing receives vacuum and is responsible for relieving blow by pressure in the crank case. An easy check for the driver's side is to pull off the oil cap with the engine running and lay a piece of plastic cling wrap over the hole. It should bow inward, toward the engine.

A final word of caution: I would not recommend ECS Tuning for the PCV equipment. The quality of the material was marginal at best and the plastic fittings were so poorly formed that they would not fit onto the valve covers.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:19 AM
1st Gear
Thumbs up Valve Covers Leaking

Thanks for the Reply.
I replaced the valve cover gaskets, inner rings around the spark plugs, the cam chain tensioner gaskets, cam seals and caps.
Everything sealed up pretty well except the valve cover gaskets.
I only used RTV sealer under the bottom corners. There are metal grommets in the gaskets where the bolts go. I guess so you cant over tighten the cover bolts. It seems they don't let the cover seal on the gasket.
Can you re-use the same gasket a second time?
This thing has over 200,000 on it but still starts and runs Great, has lots of power. Faster than my BMW 325IC E36 M50 6 cylinder. But the BMW is easier to work on.
I will do the test you mentioned. Thanks for your Help..

Old 07-03-2013, 06:26 AM
2nd Gear

Correct. The metal grommets in the outer gasket prevent you from over tightening the gasket. Mostly there is a torque spec because they are being tightened into the aluminum head. If the gaskets are new, you could try and reuse them. Just clean everything up again.

I think you have a PCV problem that is forcing oil out through the gasket. At 200k miles you are certainly due for a PCV overhaul. Take a look at the plastic tubing that connects to the valve covers and the associated valves.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Vale Covers Leaking

I am going to inspect the vent tubes on the engine.
I have already replaced some of them.
Its the ones in the back of the engine I have not inspected. Plus 1 tubes coming from the front of the engine.
The ones I replaced were so brittle they broke when I tried to remove them. So I purchase some of Ebay.
I really appreciate you taking time to advise me. Thank You..