B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

98 Quattro 1.8T, time to replace/upgrade clutch & flywheel (guidance please)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Question 98 Quattro 1.8T, time to replace/upgrade clutch & flywheel (guidance please)

Good afternoon, everybody;

It's time to replace the clutch and flywheel in my car and I see several options, but I don't know the brands, durability and wanted to pick your brains, based on your experience, to make the decision and buy the best kit for the money.

I use my car as a daily driver, but I sure enjoy the on ramps and canyons. I've seen clutch kits and lightweight flywheels from $400-$500, from Luk to F1, stage 3, stage 4...you name it.

The truth is I'm not sure what to get or where. My mechanic is 100% OEM and I think I'd like something a bit more responsive than the OEM stuff.

Could you please give me a hand with this? I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Fabian.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:17 PM
3rd Gear

buy clutch master

Old 02-04-2010, 04:33 PM
2nd Gear

My suggestion is to stay with OEM with maybe only upgrading the Flywheel as it is usually difficult to resurface them properly (I couldn't find any shops in my area with the proper equipment to resurface mine, something about them being more than one piece and metal shaving could get caught inbetween)

Besides, it seems your car is basicly stock anyways and if you haven't owned it since new you might be pleasantly surprised about how well a NEW stock clutch will feel. I bought my kit from ECS tuning and have since put 40K miles on it and it feels nearly the same as it did when I put it in.

How many miles on the car now?

Old 02-04-2010, 04:35 PM
3rd Gear

esctuning.com is the way to go for sure

Old 02-04-2010, 07:28 PM

Thank you, guys, I really appreciate your help and feedback. The challenge I'm having is the cost of staying with OEM is more than double the cost of aftermarket parts. To get a new OEM flywheel and a new Sachs' OEM clutch, I'm looking at over $1,000 for sure, while the Stage 3 kits run for less than $500 (that's for the lightweight flywheel and the tunned clutch).

The car has 225,000 miles on it and I've owned it since 110,000 and rebuilt the engine, so it runs surprisingly good for the miles it has. Just did the brakes (rotors and Akebono pads all around) and replaced the upper control arms. It handles really well too, so even though it's an oldie, I'll keep it (hopefully running in the condition it deserves--until it's time to let it go)...for now though, I want the best performance for the money, without investing too much money on a car with 225,000 miles. The turbo was replaced about 10k miles ago.

In the meantime, fluids are replaced regularly and Mobil 1 goes in every 5k.

Thanks again for your help aqnd tips.

Fabian

Old 02-04-2010, 08:07 PM
3rd Gear

oem on the clutch i wouldnt say matter these clutch places have been doing it for years i havent heard anything negative about an aftermarket clutch on the a4s

Old 02-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Administrator

talk to Mike, he's the guy to go to for upgraded clutches. Only thing I would advise is don't go overkill- waste-o-money

Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Default thank you for the tips

how do i get a hold of Mike? Trust me...i wanna save as much as possible without having to do it twice, and since I have to do it, I want something decent..

Old 02-05-2010, 01:38 PM
3rd Gear

Mike-2ptzero see if you can search his screen name send him a message on here and get his number or post his name on a new forum and he should reply back to you fast

Old 02-08-2010, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by fabianandres
Thank you, guys, I really appreciate your help and feedback. The challenge I'm having is the cost of staying with OEM is more than double the cost of aftermarket parts. To get a new OEM flywheel and a new Sachs' OEM clutch, I'm looking at over $1,000 for sure, while the Stage 3 kits run for less than $500 (that's for the lightweight flywheel and the tunned clutch).

The car has 225,000 miles on it and I've owned it since 110,000 and rebuilt the engine, so it runs surprisingly good for the miles it has. Just did the brakes (rotors and Akebono pads all around) and replaced the upper control arms. It handles really well too, so even though it's an oldie, I'll keep it (hopefully running in the condition it deserves--until it's time to let it go)...for now though, I want the best performance for the money, without investing too much money on a car with 225,000 miles. The turbo was replaced about 10k miles ago.

In the meantime, fluids are replaced regularly and Mobil 1 goes in every 5k.

Thanks again for your help aqnd tips.

Fabian
I don't understand, how are you finding the stock stuff at $1000 when ecs, mjm autohaus, and autopartswarehouse.com have thesw things for way less??
http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=856
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...etrain/Clutch/
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...clutch&submit=

I my self was about to post this kind of thread as im up for a clutch change since mine is beginning to slip. I too wanna know what would be the best option. I still have a stock a4 1.8t atw but plan on chipping, upgrading dv and air delivery and maybe a mild turbo upgrade. nothing crazy, a better bolt on would do just fine. im looking to get around 250 whp. will a sachs clutch suffice for this type of power or would i have to get a stage 1? if so, which stage one would be the best/cheapest?

Quick Reply: 98 Quattro 1.8T, time to replace/upgrade clutch & flywheel (guidance please)