AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   airbag expires and needs replacement in 2011 ? really ? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/airbag-expires-needs-replacement-2011-really-148329/)

MartinCieslak1 03-31-2010 07:23 PM

airbag expires and needs replacement in 2011 ? really ?

I was washing my car and I noticed in the driver door sill a sticker that says I the 2 airbags must be replaced 02-2011. What does that mean ? do the airbags stop working or is it just a recommendation ?

thanks

auditech79 03-31-2010 07:38 PM

Just a recommendation, the charge or squib inside the airbags should only have a shelf life of about 10 years. However i have seen cars over 15 years old with the air bags deployed after an accident. It would cost you around $2000 to change both front airbags, and around $4,000 for all the air bags if you have curtain air bags. I say the hell with that.

Mr. Phil 03-31-2010 08:09 PM

where did u see that sticker? u have a pic?

B5 Audi 03-31-2010 08:26 PM

agreed thats more then the car's worth

Nevalite 03-31-2010 09:01 PM

Yeah who needs airbags anyways... :S lol

Tweaked 03-31-2010 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nevalite (Post 1193070)
Yeah who needs airbags anyways... :S lol

Airbags have definitely saved my life.

It's funny. Though airbags have been around for over 2 decasdes, the topic of aging airbags is only recently become a topic being discussed. The truth is, no one really knows how long they last, but there are many cars on the road with airbags way past their "expiration" date.

The general rule of thumb is to test an airbag system annually after 10 years (or it's "expiration" date). The way this is done is by unplugging a seatbelt harness and turning the key. The Airbag light should stay ON and a code should be set as "present" in the airbag control module. After this test, plug in the harness and cycle the key again. The Light should again stay ON, but the fault code in the control unit should be "not-present" or "intermittent." Last, erase the code and cycle the key again. The airnag light should stay OFF and the fault memory should be clear. You have just sucessfully tested your airbag system... well, as much can be done without actually crashing!

Most aren't aware of this, but your car reads the airbag control module fault memory every time it starts up in a self test (the light Goes ON, then Turns OFF. If it turns on again, there is a fault in the system).

So... why hasn't anyone worried about this before? The avearge lifespan of a new car is supposedly about 7 years... Most end up in the junkyard before airbags are an issue or end up there with deployed airbags!

There are aftermarket airbag companies, but personally, for now, I'd trust the factory airbags that are 10-15 years old over any non-factory airbag replacement. There does come a time when we all have to decide what to fix and what to junk.

When my car is too old, I think it will end up stripped with a roll cage... no need for airbags on a track! ;)

Nevalite 03-31-2010 10:35 PM

Yeah I was being sarcastic lol. That's a good test to know I'll have to check it out on my car sometime.

MartinCieslak1 03-31-2010 11:26 PM

Yea but that tests only the airbag control module under the ashtray. anyways i wont change them. lol

Dallas09 04-01-2010 01:42 PM

Yeah I always thought the real reason was more to check the airbag ecu. American cars dont have expiration dates, at least none that ive seen, and from what Ive read, airbags last for a very long time. Sounds like a nice reason for the dealer to screw you.

joenelson7687 04-01-2010 03:48 PM

+1 dallas