B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

APR Chip Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 01:34 PM
1st Gear
Default APR Chip Question

Hello all, i have a question in regards to the stage 1 APR chip for my car (00 A4 Quattro 1.8T ATW Engine). i have been in contact with both ECS Tuning and APR themselves and i can not seem to get a firm answer on what the rev limiter is set to with this chip. The guy from APR told me it just removes the limiter, which from what i have been able to find using the search on the forum here (yes i did try the search before posting) the engine can in theory take up to about 7500. what i more or less want to know if this chip has any limit, or if it will just keep letting me rev until bad things start happening. I am normally very conscious of what rpm i am at, but there have been times were i wasn't paying as much attention and found myself bouncing off the factory rev limiter. just want to make sure that if i go with this chip and i have a lapse of attention i dont over rev the engine, because while i am able to afford the chip i am not able to afford having to re do my valves, or replace a crank bearing or any of the endless bad things that could happen as a result of a massive over rev. If anyone with this chip can attest to what the engine can do, will do and will be limited to with this chip i would greatly appreciate it.

My side question would be more one of opinion. I currently have somewhere around 175000 on the car (have only put around 75000 of that on myself, and the car came with all of the dealer service record that were bang on as far as having regular service kept up to date). So my opinion portion of the question would be: Is it worth it for me to even do this chip with that many miles?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can provide any help to me on this.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Sponsor

The APR chip eliminates any sort of rev limiter or governor.

This means you can pretty much spin your car up to whatever. So yes you could rev it to 8k but it might only do it once. So its recommended that you not exceed the factory redline on the dash.

The speed limiter is also removed which means it allows your car to go faster than 112mph.

Assuming your on your stock turbo chipping it would just speed up the chances of it blowing. Moore boost means the turbo is going to spin faster for longer - which will stress parts that are already on their way to failing.

Jason

Old 10-30-2012, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
The APR chip eliminates any sort of rev limiter or governor.
Thanks for the info, however i am still finding this a little unclear. The person i was speaking to at APR e-mailed me back again today (great customer service from what I've found so far by the way) and said that after a little more checking around that the stage 1 kit did remove the speed governor, however he claimed that the factory rev limiter was actually not adjusted at all, and the factory rev limiter would stay the same.

Again thanks to ECS (were i will probably be ordering my chip through, also really good cust service BTW) for the reply, but is there anyone who is currently running this chip who could chime in and let me know what sort of rev range there seeing?

Old 10-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

I don't quite understand why you are so concerned with the rev limiter. The K03 will not be making any real boost past 5500 and if you need to rely on a rev limiter to stop yourself from going beyond that you should reexamine your driving habits.

The highest I have ever revved my car was 6k and that was scary enough, no reason you should be going into the 7s unless you're built.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sdkotlo
I am normally very conscious of what rpm i am at, but there have been times were i wasn't paying as much attention and found myself bouncing off the factory rev limiter.
Thank you as well for your input, however if you reference the above quote, i do try and keep very mindful of how many revs i'm putting on my engine at any given time. there have, i will admit, been times were i have either been driving a little to enthusiastically, or if you have ever lost traction on black ice you do end up building revs very quickly. unfortunately my reflex's have let me down in the past and did not get off the gas fast enough to keep the revs down. if you wish to respond by ridiculing my driving ability please feel free to do so.

However, i would still love someone who's running this chip to chime in if they know what the rev limiter is set to.

as always thanks for the help.