B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi B5 Suspension overhaul.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 05:06 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up Audi B5 Suspension overhaul.

Hey guys I figured while I have all of this downtime while waiting on the last parts from the machine shop that I would make an update thread.

My B5 has 89,xxx miles. The suspension needed completely redone. All 4 new wheel bearings, all new front control arms, new sway links, new tie rod ends new rear tie rods, new rear axles, fresh diff fluid, and k sport adjustable coilovers.

it all started when i noticed that evertime i went over a bump i would get a chime sound from under the front of the car. Apon inspection i realized that the front right coil spring broke and it was rattling around the strut. SO i checked the other coil springs and 3 were broken in a similar way. The only one that wasent broken was the driver side front.

My tie rod ends had 4-5mm of play on each side. All of the upper and lower balljoints had slop in them. along with the wheel bearings.

the rear was just as fucked. so anyway heres the car as it sits now. EVERYTHING is done and ready to go im just waiting on the spindles from the machine shop with the new wheel bearings (should be done on monday) and then off to the alignment shop!

enjoy!

and BTW im dumping the **** out of this wagon. if i need to clear the front uppers i probably will through the shock tower then seal the wounds with POR15 (rust preventative) and rubber boot seals. we will see.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:13 PM
3rd Gear

lol @ 2 jack stands and 2 cinder blocks holding up a 3500 pound car

Old 10-02-2009, 05:46 PM
2nd Gear

You are not using those cement blocks the right way. The only way to use them is with the hollow area vertically - probably using 2 per side then. Still, they are really ghetto and not a good idea at all, IMO.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:56 PM
3rd Gear

From the looks of it those blocks don't have any hollow area.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Gotta agree - i'd spend the $20 for a second set. Looking forward to seeing the finished job though!

Old 10-02-2009, 06:22 PM
1st Gear

So how is the k-sport i am soon to be doing prob thing as you did you just buy the control kit from ecs tuning? Have you driven it yet how ?

Old 10-02-2009, 07:26 PM
3rd Gear

Like you I did pretty much the same thing, replaced everything!!! That car will run better than new.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:32 PM
1st Gear

yeah the blocks are solid and are just backup support if for the jack thats under the rear diff so im not worried about them but thanks for the heads up.

im excited to finish the car. I have a wholesale account with the local parts distributors through association of my friends shop so parts have been cheap (thank you god) so i didnt buy anything from a consumer place like ECS tuning, or etc.. this is one reason why im doing everything like wheel bearings and new rear axles. i dont want to have to crack this egg again for another 90k miles.

its not rolling yet (still waiting on the spindles) but it will be all done very soon ill be sure to post my impressions of the Ksports because i know alot of people are curious.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:46 PM
3rd Gear

the entire back of the car is supported by a single jack under the rear differential? that is also not a good idea.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:16 AM
5th Gear

you must've took you're car to NY and then felt brand new just like alicia keys said lol. that's freaking gorgeous and cost a damn pretty penny. you should feel extremely solid after this. you should check out the rubber on the upper rear A-arms too

Quick Reply: Audi B5 Suspension overhaul.