B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi Rear Brake job.. please help me figure this out

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi Rear Brake job.. please help me figure this out

hey all,

So after not being able to figure this out i ask you all for help.

So i am doing the rear rotors/pads for my 2001.5 audi a4 1.8t sport.

After removing everything, i installed the new rotors which i purchased over a year ago from ecstuning. after i put the rotor in, followed by the outer wheel bearing and the washer, i tightened the nut and it went too far, all the way to the end and it was hard to take out so i had to strip the axel spindle and get it out. (which leaves me searching for that spindle which no one seems to have) .. its a 24mm outer spindle i believe

NOW>.. I compared the rotors to the old one and it seems like the original one has a lip which holds the washer in and the rotors which i have dont have that lip therefore they dont fit and tighten well and which leaves the rotor loose

can someone please help me figure out what i need to do? I purchased another rotor set from olympus and it seems like that is the same exact ones i had even tho they ordered it for my part OEM.

Any help please...

Old 09-03-2011, 04:15 PM

First off, it sounds like your car is FWD, is this correct?

Can you take any pictures? For me at least this would be very helpful. I've done 2 brake jobs on the back of my FWD B5 A4, and also replaced the entire axle beam. I still have the old axle beam with the wheel axles on it, perhaps these are the pieces you are referring to as "24mm outer spindle"?

Old 09-03-2011, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

Yes sorry, it is a FWD car.

I have the pix here i just first one is what the replacement part is (which doesnt have the lip)

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting (this is original part)

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting (i need the outside nut/spindle for this)
Thanks

Old 09-04-2011, 08:34 PM

Okay I know what the issue here is - the "lip" is actually the outer race of the bearing. The old bearing races are going to be very difficult and/or expensive to remove. And I highly recommend replacing the bearings with new ones when doing the rear rotors. For about $50 you can get both rear bearings:
https://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...0Bearing%20Kit

The new outer bearing races can be installed into the rotors using a hammer and a flat-bladed screwdriver. Ideally you would use a hydraulic press to install them but that's not always feasible.

As for the nut you need, it's the one that holds the rotor in place?