AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   Audi won't go into reverse (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/audi-wont-go-into-reverse-198494/)

audi34 08-11-2013 11:11 AM

Audi won't go into reverse

Hi,

I have 1997 Audi A4 1.8 automatic my issue is Audi won't move into reverse but will go forward. I can move the automatic shift into forward neutral and reverse but when in reverse it won't move. Check engine light is also on. Never had that happen, I remember driving over quite bit of water the other day. That could be a reason what I'm thinking, and also I can't locate the transmission dip stick anywhere around the engine compartment, where would I find that to check transmission liquid? Any suggestions or insights are appreciate it.
Thank you,

daze614 08-12-2013 02:25 PM

Bump...having same issue with my B5 2.8L auto. Need answers....

Subarashī Kao 08-12-2013 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by audi34 (Post 1443892)
Hi,

I have 1997 Audi A4 1.8 automatic my issue is Audi won't move into reverse but will go forward. I can move the automatic shift into forward neutral and reverse but when in reverse it won't move. Check engine light is also on. Never had that happen, I remember driving over quite bit of water the other day. That could be a reason what I'm thinking, and also I can't locate the transmission dip stick anywhere around the engine compartment, where would I find that to check transmission liquid? Any suggestions or insights are appreciate it.
Thank you,

Originally Posted by daze614 (Post 1444001)
Bump...having same issue with my B5 2.8L auto. Need answers....

ahh you are in luck gentleman as i am currently looking into finding the culprit my dads 2001 a4 1.8t automatic is doing the same thing but check this out when the maf sensor is plug in car wont go reverse but when maf is unplug car will reverse fine normal and check engine light is one as well.

We think its a wiring issue or maybe an open or short on a wire, for now we keep the maf unplug to have the reverse work till we find what is the reason behind it we know is not the maf itself but something related to it.

i will make sure to mention the fix if i ever get to the bottom of it.

mtroxel 08-12-2013 08:02 PM

There is no dipstick. Audi, like many manufacturers, has helpfully decided that you shouldn't fill your own tranny. There is a complicated filling proceedure.

But I'm thinking the water is the clue. There is a Transmission Range switch low on the left side of the trans. Might have gotten wet. I got that wet on my 96 A4 years ago. Went into safe mode. After a few days of drying, it was fine.

VAG-COM would tell you what's going on, as it sounds electical. It's not trans fluid, if that was the case you'd have problems in other gears, particularly first.

audi34 08-14-2013 01:57 AM

Great, thank you so much for the info, I took it to transmission place and told me that range sensor is out and that would be the first step to fix in order to find out whats going on. The job will be around $500. The part alone is around $300. I'm not more likely in that position to afford to get this thing fixed. I'm interested in trying the maf sensor unplug. Where would I find it to unplug it?

audi34 08-14-2013 02:03 AM

We had some flooding going on and Its been now 3 days since it probably got wet. Whats the chance it will dry and work again?

mtroxel 08-14-2013 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by audi34 (Post 1444234)
Whats the chance it will dry and work again?

I wouldn't hazard a guess. I just know that my 96 got wet and after a day or so, it was back out of safe mode and fine. Can't tell you if that's typical, you might have flooded it worse than I did, and your symptoms are slightly different.

Before I threw $500 at that car on an educated guess, I'd take it somewhere that can VAG-COM it. If that Range switch is goofy, VAG-COM will call it.

Subarashī Kao 08-14-2013 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by audi34 (Post 1444233)
Great, thank you so much for the info, I took it to transmission place and told me that range sensor is out and that would be the first step to fix in order to find out whats going on. The job will be around $500. The part alone is around $300. I'm not more likely in that position to afford to get this thing fixed. I'm interested in trying the maf sensor unplug. Where would I find it to unplug it?

oh the maf plug would be on top of the air box filter its a round rubber u pull out and the plug is in there just be careful don't pull hard if you can't reach it remove the top of the filter box and get it from the inside like if you was changing an air filter.

audi34 08-14-2013 10:41 AM

i wasn't able to see if the used VAG- COM I was in the waiting area, main shop guy came out and started talking about the range sensor that it might be out but couldn't promise for fact that it was the range sensor, he said that would be the first step we will have to fix, he said there could be also something internally that cause not going into reverse. He sounded like there is more going on.

audi34 08-14-2013 10:45 AM

I will try to locate the maf plug and see what happens, it certainly will be the less expensive way to put band date on the issue. Not sure if its worth investing more money in Audi that is worth $2000 in fair condition assuming everything mechanically works.