B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Auto Tranny Fubared? - 1999.5 A4 1.8T Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Auto Tranny Fubared? - 1999.5 A4 1.8T Quattro

Folks,
I searched and I couldn't find the exact symptoms, and so I am am trying to determine if its time to part the car or if I can fix it (I have rebuilt motors, but never a tranny)

I've got an 1999.5 A4 1.8T Quattro Automatic.

From a stop, the trans was hard shifting at higher RPMs into first, but only sometimes. I then lost 1st, 5th, and even in neutral the transmission is slightly engaged. It slips pretty bad in gears that do work.

I am inclined to sell it as is or part it, since a rebuilt is more than the bluebook, but I love the ride of the car and the engine was recently partially rebuilt, so i would love to save it if possible.

Is the tranny dead and gone or is it something I can rebuild with the factory service manual, patience and time? Or is it possible even something simple like a bad sensors, etc?

I will be honest, i know the concepts behind manual transmissions a lot better and automatics mostly a mystery to me, but I dont mind cracking it open if there is hope for it...

Thanks for any assistance folks I would love to keep her running...

Old 10-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Legal Moderator

my opinion is i'd never buy and audi with an automatic in the first place. sounds like yours is shot. but you are correct it isn't worth rebuilding it if it is shot. but....

sounds like the perfect 5 speed swap candidate to me, and if you can find a deal on the parts, it can be done for relatively cheap as well

Old 10-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Sponsor

Once the clutch packs go in the trans there's no recovering from it.

Is it locked out and only in 4 gear? Are all your PNRD12345 all lit up?

If so your transmission could be low on fluid. You can try adding fluid (don't flush it and refill or it could get worse). There's a proper way to add fluid and the transmission needs to be warm.

Top it off and see if it helps.

If it doesn't help unfortunately the trans is done, also I would limit driving/running the engine until you can be sure the proper amount of fluid is used to prevent further damage.

Below is a DIY on how to change/add fluid

Click HERE

Good luck!

Jason

Last edited by ECS Tuning; 10-22-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:55 PM
1st Gear

Redline380 - Actually, I would love to do a 5 speed swap. I just didn't know if it was practical. I might just start looking for the applicable transmission as that would be something I am much more willing to spend money beyond car value on.

Jason - I honestly hadn't looked at topping it off. I had read that the transmission is a sealed unit, or at least isnt designed to be refilled. I will look at the referenced article tonight. I hadn't noticed all the trans lights on, but i will look again.

I actually drove it to Reno from TX and outside Las Vegas is where I dropped 1st I might have cratered it myself driving it from there the next 400 miles. After Vegas I lost 5th, and about 50 miles outside of Reno (actually Virginia city) I noticed the slipping. It was in my driveway when i realized it was still pulling in a little neutral.

So no, its not locked out and only in 4th. I get 2,3,4. It is the weirdest damn thing I have seen, and I had heard about the reputation of these transmissions.

I will be honest, the idea of a 5 speed is very interesting. I will look on the forums for any info, guides or DIYs on how to do the swap. Its a ton of fun and works great up here in the mountains, when its running I would love to set it up as a fun car. (My practical car is a Subaru now)

Old 10-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Legal Moderator

here ya go. YET another 5-speed swap - in progress

read through that.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cjwarnke
I had read that the transmission is a sealed unit, or at least isnt designed to be refilled.
That's a common misconception, but it is no more "sealed" than any other automatic trans. There's a drain plug, and a fill plug up higher in a standpipe. Maybe a moot point now, but the ATF should be drained/refilled about every 40K miles.

Your troubles may have started with something easily correctable, perhaps an electrical connection to one of the solenoids, but the continued driving and slipping probably burned out a clutch or brake pack. The transmission can be rebuilt, but swapping in a used one is sure easier. By the way, these generally are really long-lasting transmissions, for instance mine has 240,000 miles and shifts perfectly.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, i looked at that and Biketsai's swap. Since the engine has less that 5k since the last once over on timing belts, etc, i am looking more at Biketsai's. I think that is what I am going to do.

Question. The engine does have 140k on it (bearing, rings etc). How durable are the audi B5 motors? Should I not stress it by tweaking with more turbo or anything?

Or heck, maybe I will just rebuild the motor... Decisions decisions...

Old 10-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by cjwarnke
Thanks, i looked at that and Biketsai's swap. Since the engine has less that 5k since the last once over on timing belts, etc, i am looking more at Biketsai's. I think that is what I am going to do.

Question. The engine does have 140k on it (bearing, rings etc). How durable are the audi B5 motors? Should I not stress it by tweaking with more turbo or anything?

Or heck, maybe I will just rebuild the motor... Decisions decisions...
the motor will last a long time as long as it hasn't been infected with sludge. you could take off the oil pan to inspect and if it is sludged up, you may rebuild it. the turbo though, if stock, will most likely be going out soon.

and heres a big tip- if you rebuild the engine, replace the rods with forged units. even if you plan on keeping the car stock, you may one day change you mind and want to make power. the stock rods aren't the best