B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...
View Poll Results: Have you changed your ATF?
Yes
80.00%
No
20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Have you ever changed your ATF?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Actual WIZARD
Default Have you ever changed your ATF?

Simple poll. Ive developed a leak at thr pan gasket, so it has to be drained. While im under there, I might as well swap the filter and fluid.

Ecs has a full kit
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...Kits/ES261797/

But the jury is still out on if its a good idea to dink with the fluid in the first place. Dealer friends said no, because it will chew up the clutches. But I know there are people who have. So post either if you have or haven't, and if you have had it done, the mileage it was done at, along with your current mileage. If you havent, post your current mileage on the transmission.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:49 PM
3rd Gear

Multiple times, going into reverse my **** clunks now. Not sure if it's because my car is old and the tranny is going or if it's from the multiple fluid changes...

Old 06-18-2011, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

my **** clunks when I go into reverse but our driveways mad sloped so that's why it happens to me I think. **** sloped driveways

Old 06-18-2011, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

my **** clunks daily so i decided to do this. i live by the beach in SoCal, so there are hills everywhere. even my driveway is a slope. so i did an ATF change the other week or so and one yesterday. hardest part about the job was putting 8 jack stands under the car because the engine has to be on and running and put in gear while level on stands or ramps...

i found out that not only was my drain plug washer complete and utter useless (leaking) but my pan gasket was gone as well. i could tell because my entire pan gasket and drain plug was thick moist and oily.

the kit from blauparts is 100x better. it gives you a pump tool to pump ATF fluid in so you don't have to use the VAG 1924 tool (expensive). plus blau has directions and a very helpful and responsive technician staff that answers ur questions about the install.

one tip, use 8 stands. JIC. and also have the floor jack (not ur scissor jack) jacks up on th side closest to you in case one of your stands decides to unlock when changing ur car into different gears.

PM if you have questions. i have done this twice now.

mileage done 69k on mine, 110k on my cousin's

highly recommended, the clunking has ceased. shifts are smooth. say what you want but the way my tranny was acting up before this, i am pretty damn sure i enhanced the longevity of my tranny.

Last edited by rawdney88; 06-18-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:29 AM
2nd Gear

idk if you would do something like this on a small car like an audi, but i just installed a transmission cooler on my xterra to keep the oil cool and extend the life of my tranny. most of the time the reason why a transmission fails is because of heat. you might want to look into getting a cooler
http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Aut...U-11x7-1-2x3-4
this is the one i bought. but again i dont know if anyone has ever done this on an audi? :P

Old 06-19-2011, 03:15 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tourbo24
idk if you would do something like this on a small car like an audi, but i just installed a transmission cooler on my xterra to keep the oil cool and extend the life of my tranny. most of the time the reason why a transmission fails is because of heat. you might want to look into getting a cooler
http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Aut...U-11x7-1-2x3-4
this is the one i bought. but again i dont know if anyone has ever done this on an audi? :P
funny. i was talking about doing this with a buddy of mine on MY audi. it extends the life of a tranny for sure. and since it is common for transmissions to go bad on audi's then why not right?

hoping some of the B5 gurus chime in on this idea. im sure it has been done but just wondering if it offer any benefit to our cars. i know honda tuners love em'

ALSO would like to add that getting ATF replaced should be done if you NEED it. if your fluid level is adequate and your transmission is slipping, don't do a change. BUT if you are like my car, and your car only slips and clunks when switching gear when cold or on slopes, then you are LOW in fluid and you must change and replace ur fluid.

Last edited by rawdney88; 06-19-2011 at 06:10 PM.