B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

the bad experience with speedtuning thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 AM
Thumbs down the bad experience with speedtuning thread

OK. so I have posted several in different threads and over on AZ too about my experience with speedtuning and now it might be time for a dedicated thread.
read my sob story below:
From the get go i put in a boost gauge at the same time as the "speedtuning chip".. nothing. running 8 psi.
First thing I did was call and talk to Oliver. I wouldnt say he was incredibly helpful, but he lead me to believe that i just needed to check for boost leaks and try a new DV and that should get me in business.. He even claimed that they tested my ECU in a 98 avant at there place and that it was boosting 16 psi.. really??

so the first thing i did was replace my vacuum hoses and do a pressure check for boost leaks. I also installed a new DV.
That made boost come on quicker, and maybe a little higher up to maybe 9 psi.

So the next thing I did was pinch off the vacuum line to the wastegate, and that made me spike up to like 20 psi and hit a fuel cut-off or something bad..
so i didnt try that out for long, just to make sure my turbo was capable of making boost....
after that and some researching i decide to try a ECS n75 "race valve"
It came in the mail today and i was so excited to finally get some results....
I put it in right after work and.....no luck.. acted exactly the same as it was before with the n75"c" i just took out

I have twice checked for boost leaks, and I can pump my system up to 20+ psi with my air compressor and dont find any leaks so I know thats not my problem.

Is there anyone else out there with problems like I have getting the "tune" to work like it should?
anyone out there in the Northern Utah area that is chipped and willing to let me swap in your ecu/ try out mine and help me figure out WTF is going on?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:54 AM

you might have to clear the codes in order for ur car to get out of limp mode, I'm not sure tho....

Old 08-11-2009, 01:54 AM

Im in the same path as you. I was going to get the stage 2 but unfortunately i couldn't get that because Oliver told me my ECU wasn't capable of having that tune by having a different ECU in my model, he said i should peak from 15psi to 12psi but all im getting is 9psi and droping to about 7psi at redline. tomorrow im going to do a boost leak test to see if i have a leak and hope that's my problem.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:34 AM
Administrator

I'd totally help you out if I were closer to you.

I hope you guys get everything sorted out.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 AM
5th Gear

you won't hold 12 psi at redline buddy. if you're not peaking at 15 it's definitely a problem though. have any of you regapped your spark plugs?

Old 08-11-2009, 10:19 AM

hiwords: yeah. I regapped to .028 no change in performance

mexican47: No, I hit cut-off, not limp I guess. There is no CEL on, and no codes to clear.

marcus: That sounds like exactly what my car does. I can get it to max out at maybe 10 psi, but most of the time im only getting 7-8psi max

Old 08-11-2009, 11:56 AM

I didn't regapped my plugs, would those really be causing issues with boosting

Old 08-11-2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by marcus02390
I didn't regapped my plugs, would those really be causing issues with boosting
well what happens is increased boost can blow out your spark, if you dont decrease the gap a bit.... so the spark plugs wouldnt directly affect the boost, but if it was blowing out the spark and causing misfires, it could possibly cause the ECU to enter "limp mode" I guess and limit the boost

Old 08-11-2009, 03:12 PM

I guess I'll do that, but I doubt that will work since I have the same problem as you.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

Man that's a bummer guys, hopefully everything works out for you

Quick Reply: the bad experience with speedtuning thread