B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

bad fuel pump? and other questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:06 AM
4th Gear
Default bad fuel pump? and other questions...

hey everyone... the name is Phil, in case u didnt notice from my user name.. anyways i just bought my lil black fwd 5spd 2.8 a4 last night for 1500... the only thing i know is wrong with it which he told me is that anytime i go over 65 the fuel pump fuse blows, but i pull over and replace fuse its good, CEL is on but that only came on once this issues started happening, is this a common issue with b5 platform? and do u think it would be the pump itself or something else that is faulty? or would i have to get cel diagnosed first?

2nd.. is there any way to tell what options the car i purchased has? like can i type in the vin somewhere and have it tell me everything the car came with? anyways nice to meet everyone hope to have a pleasant stay here

Phil

ps sorry it was soo long

pss... is there any huge issues with the 2.8 that need to be addressed? i have 161k on the motor.. i dont know what maintenance has been done, belts or anything.. so if u can think of any parts that are notorious for failing lemme know i wanna get them replaced soon before the car breaks on me lol

Name:  IMG00283-20090825-1240.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  140.8 KB

Old 08-26-2009, 06:28 PM
4th Gear

ok, i bought a generic obd reader... 4 faults..

says bank 1 side o2 sensor malfunction
bank 2 side 1 o2 sensor malfunction
egr free flow constriction or something like that
and air fuel malfunction...

i forgot to write down the codes before i cleared them sorry.. but anyone know how bad that is?? or how much a pain in the *** this will be to fix?

Old 08-26-2009, 07:47 PM
4th Gear

does anyone know anyhing or am i wasting my time on this forum?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
does anyone know anyhing or am i wasting my time on this forum?
try using the search function chief.
also check out the stickies at the top. they are really helpful with questions for new owners. the biggest thing that must be done is changing the timing belt AND tensioner. they have been known to fail if you dont change every 60k miles

also, I dont know what the problem is with your fuel pump fuse... like i said try the search function. you could also try changing the filter see if that helps at all.

oh. also check out audizine.. seems to be more active than this place

Old 08-26-2009, 09:32 PM
3rd Gear

only thing i know is wrong with it which he told me is that anytime i go over 65 the fuel pump fuse blows, but i pull over and replace fuse its good, CEL is on but that only came on once this issues started happening, is this a common issue with b5 platform?
try replacing the fuel filter. maybe it is clogged to the point its putting that much of a restriction on the pump? ive never heard of that before. verify that the fuse that is blowing is infact the one for the fuel pump, never go off what some random person tells you.

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
ok, i bought a generic obd reader... 4 faults..

says bank 1 side o2 sensor malfunction
bank 2 side 1 o2 sensor malfunction
egr free flow constriction or something like that
and air fuel malfunction...

i forgot to write down the codes before i cleared them sorry.. but anyone know how bad that is?? or how much a pain in the *** this will be to fix?
you need to post the codes not the description. descriptions vary, numbers dont. rescan the car in a week and see what codes come back. that makes sure they arent just stored in there from a long time ago. write them down this time, no excuses.

i have 161k on the motor.. i dont know what maintenance has been done, belts or anything.. so if u can think of any parts that are notorious for failing lemme know
get a complete timing belt job- belt, roller and tensioner, water pump and thermostat. get new plugs and wires, new fuel filter, new air filter and oil change would be a good place to start. if it were my car i would also do a brake fluid flush now- including the clutch line if a manual, new trans fluid, and rear differential fluid if its a quattro. a coolant flush if the fluid is in the coolant tank is anything but pink/red and clear. if its green/brown/foamy/milky/cloudy, flush that as well. that will make sure its up to date and you will know exactly where the car is on maintenance. no guessing when the last time something was done.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 PM
4th Gear

ok thanks for the input.. ill post the codes later, i reset them today so ill check back in a week if it comes back on... and yea i think im going to replace the filter... as far as the fuse that blows... i just verified its the fuel pump...

ooh and btw.. does anyone know how to change the temp from celcius to farenheit? its annoying as al hell haha

Old 08-26-2009, 10:09 PM
3rd Gear

the temp on the gauge cluster or on the HVAC control pannel?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:12 PM
4th Gear

ooh and as far as intakes go, i know there are no carb legal ones... but other than the maf sensorm what is the other sensor thing on the actual airbox do? i have an intake from an old car that surprisingly will fit perfectly but the sensors on the box worry me... what are they for?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ghost6303
the temp on the gauge cluster or on the HVAC control pannel?
both.. for "outside temp" and the climate control

Old 08-26-2009, 10:21 PM
3rd Gear

for the climate control, hold the 'recirculate' button while pressing one of the + buttons. cant remember the display one off the top of my head. if you have the owners manual it would be in there.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113722

Quick Reply: bad fuel pump? and other questions...