B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

BMW to Audi center support bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Default BMW to Audi center support bearing

I've heard that there is a BMW center support bearing that will fit on audi's. Does anyone know which model BMW it is?

I have a B6 A4 1.8 quattro manual. I've found the bearing for B5's but not B6. Is there a difference in the drive shaft center support bearing between 01-and 02?

Old 10-19-2009, 01:20 PM
3rd Gear

I've heard that there is a BMW center support bearing that will fit on audi's.
i doubt it, where did you hear that? parts are sometimes interchangeable between models, but almost never between manufacturers.

the B6 and B5 are very much different.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

im having the issue of even finding a center support bearing for my b5 1.8t MT ive called around and looked and it seems nobody even sells just the bearing. ive been told to look for rebuild kits but they dont include the CSB? its looking like im going to have to buy a whole new driveshaft. can anyone help?

Old 10-16-2013, 01:06 AM
Old 10-16-2013, 08:19 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mhuntington
im having the issue of even finding a center support bearing for my b5 1.8t MT ive called around and looked and it seems nobody even sells just the bearing. ive been told to look for rebuild kits but they dont include the CSB? its looking like im going to have to buy a whole new driveshaft. can anyone help?
I replaced the drive shaft when my center support failed. I looked at kits but the problem is getting the assembly apart to install the new center support. The U-joint is swedged and there are no cir-clips so it's a biotch.

A rebuilt shaft will run you about $500 but you get one that has all new moving parts and it will be balanced. Much easier than trying to rebuild and somehow balance you original shaft.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:32 PM
1st Gear

I found a step by step procedure on a different forum and that seems to be the hardest part, but its possible. I just don't know if its something that I would still be on over my head on. My car has 220k on the odo so I was thinking about just getting a cheap used driveshaft from a junkyard that a friend of mine owns.
However, the CSB would still be attached of course, but would that mean I still have to balance the used driveshaft? There was no mention of balancing it(in so many words) in this step by step I mentioned... So what's the process of balancing the driveshaft?

Old 10-16-2013, 04:39 PM
1st Gear
Old 10-16-2013, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

this is the step by step procedure i found on how to replace the bearing only:

Driveshaft support bearing using 034 Motorsports part.

I am providing this write up for informational purposes only. PLEASE NOTE: AUDI SAYS THAT THIS IS A NON-SERVICEABLE PART. By undertaking any projects on your own, you assume the risk of bodily injury and/or damage to your car.

I don’t think this can be done with just 1 person. In fact, I wouldn’t even try it. You can easily get the driveshaft out with one person, but I fail to see how you would ever get it back in.

By far, the most difficult step is separating the driveshaft. If you don’t have a way to do that, do not even bother reading the rest. I will let you know what we did to separate it, but it was an ad hoc procedure.

1. Jack up all 4 corners and put car on jack stands. Be sure to have it high since there will be two of you under there at times.

2. Remove exhaust. If you need a how-to on this, stop right now and go to a shop. Basically, there are just a few hangers and some clamps that hold it to the DPs.

3. Remove heat shield. I believe there are 4 10mm nuts holding it on. This is the heat shield that covers the driveshaft.

4. Now, you’re looking at the driveshaft and the bearing bracket. Take your time here getting a sense for how the bracket is aligned on the car. It may make sense to mark how the bearing is situated. I didn’t since it was covered in grease and goop. Where the shims were placed between the bracket and the car was the only clean spot, so it was clearly marked anyway. As it turns out, my new bearing didn’t have holes, it had slots, so I didn’t really use the marks anyway.

5. Get your allen set out and begin removing the 8 allen bolts that attach the drive shaft at each end. I recommend using power tools to speed things up a bit here. For one, you will want the ebrake on when loosening the bolts. On the rear, I think you can get two or 3 at a time. At the front it’s one at a time. So, loosen bolt, ask friend to release e brake, rotate driveshaft, ask friend to engage e brake, loosen bolt, repeat until all 8 are done. The thing are not too long, but getting enough room to turn the socket around the downpipes was difficult, thus my recommendation for considering power tools.

6. Now that your hands are greasy (and they will be since there is a ton of grease in the driveshaft ends, remove the 2 bolts that hold the support bearing. Caution: the driveshaft is a bit heavy and will hurt if you let it fall on your head.

7. Get driveshaft out from under car and IMMEDIATELY put some kind of protecting cover on each end. I used big ziplock bags and some tape. You may notice a gasket has fallen out or not (mine did). No biggie. It’s easy to put back in when you’re getting the thing back on your car.

8. Now, you will notice there is a bolt (18mm I believe) in the middle of driveshaft under the u joint. That will be coming out.

Before you do that, though, take a breath and gather your wits.

9. with your wits gathered, remove the bolt. A big washer will come out with it. Now you are looking at the driveshaft connection. This is where you will have the most difficulty. I took one look at mine and said “no freaking way.” The driveshaft appears to be pressed together, and you can’t press it apart with the ujoint in the way. But, the ujoint is machined together (this is how Audi made this part “unserviceable”).

So, how are you going to separate these two things? Spray PBlaster on the teeth right now. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Then, spray some more. Do not get any in or on the ujoint. There is grease in there and Pblaster would likely ruin the grease.

What we ended up doing is this: tapping it with a sledge hammer. Nope. Inserting an iron rod between the ujoint and the shaft connection and pounding that. Nope. Pulling on each end. Yeah, right. Finally, my friend says “I have an idea.” He walks around his garage, and comes back with a simple piece of steel in the shape of a right triangle. We’re going to use the thing as a wedge. We put the bolt back in the hole of the driveshaft about halfway. We then put the flat side of our wedge against the ujoint and began hitting it with a hammer. After a few whacks, we looked and saw we were making progress. When we estimated we were halfway there, we decided this was the time to mark the teeth so when we go to put the 2 pieces back together it would be lined up properly.

NOTE: THE DRIVESHAFT IS BALANCED SO MISALIGNING THE TEETH WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK TOGETHER WILL MAKE VIBRATIONS WORSE. TAKE YOUR TIME HERE TO GET A GOOD MARK ON 1 TOOTH AND GROOVE, PREFERABLY 2. We used a Sharpie and only marked one groove and one tooth.

A few more whacks, then we removed the 18mm bolt, and some light taps, and BINGO, driveshaft was separated.

Now, to get the bearing off. I used a large screwdriver and whacked it 3 or 4 times, and it popped off. Be sure to hit the correct spot on the bearing. There seems to be a piece of steel that is coated in rubber. That’s where I hit. Be sure you’re not hitting the driveshaft.

Make note of the orientation of the bearing. Note that it does go on a specific way. Now, tap it on. You could probably use a piece of wood to cushion the blows. It does not take that much force.

To get the driveshaft back into one piece, grab the other end, find your marks on the teeth and grooves, line them up, and push the two sides together a bit. Now, insert the washer and 18mm bolt and begin tightening. By doing this, the bolt and washer will press them back together.

Reinstall is basically steps in reverse. I had my friend hold the driveshaft while I put back the 2 bolts that hold the bearing to the car. I did this to hold the driveshaft, but I did not tighten them yet.

Now, begin putting the driveshaft bolts back in I’d recommend power tools here once again, but don’t go too crazy with them, you don’t want to strip out a bolt at this point.

Once those are in and tightened, line up the bearing bracket as best you can, and tighten the bolts down.

Put on heat shield, put on exhaust (again difficult with just one person) and crack a beer. You just spent about $100 and 3-4 hours (max) on a repair that Audi wants you to spend $400 on parts and another $100+ per hour of labor.

So, once we got everything buttoned back up, the car was still off the ground, so I had my friend get in a start the car, put in gear, and shift a bit. He took it up to 30 mph and we noticed no problems.

“You won’t notice anything until the driveshaft is under load” he tells me. OK.

Driving home, let’s just say I put the thing under load a few times, and not a singe vibration was felt.

I’d have to conclude that my “unserviceable part” had in fact been serviced by me.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

I read this post right before I bought my reconditioned drive shaft. ;-) Give it a shot and let us know how it works for you.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:23 AM
1st Gear

Haha I would, but I picked up a used driveshaft this morning. I don't like making headaches out of jobs for myself. It's only gotta last the winter and then I'm selling the car.

Quick Reply: BMW to Audi center support bearing