B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

built a custom 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust in my friend's driveway

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:20 AM
Default built a custom 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust in my friend's driveway

I finally got a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust on my car....

The materials:
2 mandrel u-bends
3 exhaust hangers
1 6" flex pipe
8ft straight pipe
2 2.5" 3 bolt flanges
[already had the Techtonics Tuning HFC]
Total Cost (not including cat): $130
(plus a 3" exhaust tip left over from my friend jerd's exhaust)

Originally the plan was to make a new downpipe off of the cat, and then the rest of the exhaust after a flex pipe and another flange to take it off in 3 pieces from the turbo back. We decided Audi was stupid in making the cat/downpipe connection in the hardest spot to reach (which, according to jerd, is why audi mechanics get paid so much)... so we chopped the flange off of my month old cat and welded up a real one piece cat/downpipe, moving the flange down to a reasonable level.

After the downpipe there is a 6" flex pipe, then a 4ft straight pipe... and then jerd worked his magic in the rear end and routed the exhaust around the rear diff and out the back, which let us center it perfectly.

When I had the turndown off of my stock 2.25" downpipe, I measured 95dB under load in the driver seat. Now I'm getting 88dB under the same conditions. (on an iPhone SPL meter, not accurate but it's consistent)

The car has less of a boost spike around 3k now, but if feels like it has more power throughout the rpm range. THANKS JERD!

pics:

video:
http://vimeo.com/8745582

97dB max during the video at 35ft. I think california's limit is something like 95dB at 50 ft, and the SCCA limit is 93dB @ 50ft, so I may need a muffler at some point. I love the sound though.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:12 AM
4th Gear

sounds like its farting

Old 01-15-2010, 11:10 PM

sounds like sex.. i want..

Old 01-15-2010, 11:10 PM
5th Gear

win. you should put a magnaflow on it for a more ballsy growl. am i crazy or are your tails a little different in color?

Old 01-15-2010, 11:16 PM
3rd Gear

good work and nice shots, I agree with putting a different muffler on it

I want a white car

Old 01-16-2010, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by aledelic42

I want a white car
Me to...

But hey pyropenguin, Ill pay if your willing to make another one of these setups. I live about 1 hr 30 min away

Old 01-16-2010, 01:24 AM
2nd Gear

Wait, thats a high flow cat!?

Then what is this? I thought what I tore out of my car was the stock cat! It looks identical to yours.
Name:  1256497259.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  63.2 KB

Old 01-16-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by hiwords
win. you should put a magnaflow on it for a more ballsy growl. am i crazy or are your tails a little different in color?
They're the prefacelift updated tails. Not the crappy 95-98 lights, but not the new 99.5+ lights.

Originally Posted by aledelic42
good work and nice shots, I agree with putting a different muffler on it

I want a white car
different muffler? There is no muffler

Originally Posted by ambig1.8t
Me to...

But hey pyropenguin, Ill pay if your willing to make another one of these setups. I live about 1 hr 30 min away
I'm actually up in Redding, CA right now for christmas, it's a friend up here who did the welding for me. I told another guy on Audizine that I'll try and find someone willing to do some welding in SD and make some down there... or maybe i can get my friend from Redding to drive down for a weekend and fab up some exhausts for cheap.

Originally Posted by kayakman13
Wait, thats a high flow cat!?

Then what is this? I thought what I tore out of my car was the stock cat! It looks identical to yours.
Yeah, you threw away a ~$230 Techtonics Tuning High Flow cat. LOL. I actually picked that one because it looked the closest to stock.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by pyropenguin

I'm actually up in Redding, CA right now for christmas, it's a friend up here who did the welding for me. I told another guy on Audizine that I'll try and find someone willing to do some welding in SD and make some down there... or maybe i can get my friend from Redding to drive down for a weekend and fab up some exhausts for cheap.
Let me know

Old 01-16-2010, 12:08 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by pyropenguin
They're the prefacelift updated tails. Not the crappy 95-98 lights, but not the new 99.5+ lights.

hey now i happen to like my "crappy" tail lights, i like them better than the other ones actually

Quick Reply: built a custom 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust in my friend's driveway