B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Tiptronic No reverse

Old 04-29-2015, 11:17 AM
1st Gear
Thumbs up Tiptronic No reverse

1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 automatic. I wanted to share and hope this helps someone else. I love my car. Last week the transmission started to fail. Hard shifting when stopped, skipping gears, and no reverse. Got her home only to find the next morning no gears would engage. I was crushed. I read a post here about moisture and how it could make the tranny go nuts. It has been really rainy here in Ga and I live on a dirt road and my driveway has some pretty impressive mud holes that fill with water when it rains. I unplugged the electrical plug at the very front of the transmission. I was met with a shower of water. Oh happy day!!!! I dried the connections and boots with compressed air, then cleaned with electrical terminal cleaner and replaced plug. Whet all over her underside, unplugged, cleaned and dried every connector I could find, and now she runs and drives better than ever!! Makes me wonder how many transmissions have been given up on because of water!!

Old 04-29-2015, 12:51 PM
2nd Gear

nice man! nothing better than a quick easy fix to a disastrous issue

Old 04-29-2015, 01:56 PM
1st Gear

hmmm interesting, my triptronic acts weird aslo. When my car is first started in morning my reverse works great, no issues, but after I drive around and use reverse to park or back up..it takes about 10 seconds for reverse to engage and if i'm on a slight incline, it doesn't shift into reverse, i have to go back into park and then reverse again and it engages after a few seconds.

do you think its an fluid issue, strange it only happens when the car is warmed up and driven around.

How can I check the fluid level without VAG Com

Old 05-05-2015, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

VAG-COM is preferred for checking the ATF temperature, but not absolutely necessary. Every time I've filled the trans, starting with a "cold" transmission, the fluid is right in the correct range by the time the filling is complete. Be aware that when I say cold, I mean Southern CA cold, say around 65F. You only need a 17mm hex driver to check the fluid, but do not remove that check/fill plug unless the engine is running, and the car is up on stands, level. If you pull that plug with the engine switched off, fluid that while running fills the torque converter and clutches will overflow and run out.

An easy way to add fluid some ATF for topping-up is to remove the plastic cap from the ATF container, and make a hole in it for a hose, say 1/4" ID Silicone or Vinyl. The hole must make a snug, air-tight fit when the hose is installed. Trim one end of the hose at an angle and insert that end into the container. Screw the cap on, then when you squeeze the plastic container, ATF will be forced into the transmission pan through the other end of the hose, which you insert through the check/fill port. Add fluid until it runs out as fast as you add it, then pull the hose out, and install the plug. Shut off the engine, and see if shifting is improved.