B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

can i turbo my v6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:35 AM
Legal Moderator
Default can i turbo my v6?

ive always wanted to start a thread with a really noob title, but the content does pertain to that. im wondering if any of you 30v'ers are actually interested in 034's single turbo project.
Single Turbo on your 2.8L 30v V6?
whats the consensus on you v6 guys? im guessing it would be quite expensive, but more power than any suercharger setup currently available. i just dont really understand the usage of a 6262 turbo. it seems fairly large, and from what i understand only able to run about 8psi. and since this is 034 we are talking about, im sure theyll have a tune for it, which im sure will also cost hella cash. so with all things in consideration, is anyone actually, truly, to the point of opening their safety deposit box, interesed in the single turbo on your v6?

Old 04-17-2012, 05:15 AM

Its a cool idea. Its practical, its the best way to go about this but it just doesnt seem worth it. You obviously cant slap a turbo on anythign and expect magic. Youll need a tune, comming from 034 costs money - id go VEMS or something a little cheaper to get it done. You might need some fueling parts..... it would *** up. They say300-440 hp which isnt too bad and if they continue to offer support then it can only get better. AFter everythign is hooked up and runnign your looking arond $5k. All you really need from 034 is the manifolds.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Administrator

You're looking at a lot more than that. It's about $4000 for the turbo kit, but to make that power you also need the IC, piping, injectors, etc, and to make the power they're getting, there's no way the internals will hold up, so now you're looking at a built bottom end.

Seriously I wish one of these companies would get their head out of their ***, build a budget setup using a K04 and tuned as a true bolt-on for a 60-80 hp gain max. It could be relatively inexpensive and accessible/worthwhile to a much larger audience. Not everyone needs 400+hp and not everyone wants to drop $5-8000 on a 13 year old car. Get real.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 AM
vgo
2nd Gear

I'm interested in the turbo setup. I've been having a really bad itch in tinkering with my car. Will I realistically go a head and spend all the money on that? I'm not too sure. I really believe it becomes personal choice and sense of accomplishment if anyone chooses to go this route.

I am interested in getting into the turbo scene, taking apart my car, and pretty much turn my car into a project car and a hobby. In the next few months, I'll be owning my first home. That means I have a garage to work on all to myself =)

Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by vgo
I'm interested in the turbo setup. I've been having a really bad itch in tinkering with my car. Will I realistically go a head and spend all the money on that? I'm not too sure. I really believe it becomes personal choice and sense of accomplishment if anyone chooses to go this route.

I am interested in getting into the turbo scene, taking apart my car, and pretty much turn my car into a project car and a hobby. In the next few months, I'll be owning my first home. That means I have a garage to work on all to myself =)
Why not do it right and sell your car and buy an S4 of the same vintage? Not only will it cost you less but it will be far-FAR more buildable in the long run.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by shipo
Why not do it right and sell your car and buy an S4 of the same vintage? Not only will it cost you less but it will be far-FAR more buildable in the long run.
that's essentially what 034 is trying to do here. They have built a couple single turbo s4's. Cause the 2.8 and 2.7 are the same motor more or less, i suppose this kit would work on s4's too. But I disagree with you. Altogether buying an s4 would be cheaper, but if you already have a 2.8 it would be cheaper keeping it and nodding it versus buying an s4 and modding that. Either way I'd love to see it done. But if you want to push it, a built lower end would have to be factored in.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:41 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

Many would consider that option. I've already put a good amount of money into this car (including upgrades and maintenance), and it also doesnt include a clean title as its been involved in an accident. I wouldnt think I would get much out of it, and also thought of just handing it down to my fiance while I get a newer car.

I just dont see any use in having 2 sedans. I would prefer having an SUV as a second car to lug around larger items in the boot. With that in mind, I'd prefer to just spend money on a cheap Honda/Kia 4 banger SUV and the money I would have spent on a newer car would go to my current A4. It would still be far less cheaper, as the new Audi's are mininum $40,000 base models.

Buying an S4 would mean that I would have to go through all the maintenance run through once again. Owning this car for 5yrs, I already know much of its history and can anticipate what may break. I've really put much thought into this, and ran through all my options and I seem to be leaning towards my current A4 as a project car.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

What I am waiting for now is exactly what is involved in this kit. I would like to know the list of items needed to get things started. It would be far more appealing for me if I can buy parts here and there slowly. Yes, it may cost me more in the long run, but if I do my shopping right, it probably wouldnt be much of a difference if I were to buy the whole thing at once.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
You're looking at a lot more than that. It's about $4000 for the turbo kit, but to make that power you also need the IC, piping, injectors, etc, and to make the power they're getting, there's no way the internals will hold up, so now you're looking at a built bottom end.

Seriously I wish one of these companies would get their head out of their ***, build a budget setup using a K04 and tuned as a true bolt-on for a 60-80 hp gain max. It could be relatively inexpensive and accessible/worthwhile to a much larger audience. Not everyone needs 400+hp and not everyone wants to drop $5-8000 on a 13 year old car. Get real.
THIS. there are always a couple niche markets where some people are willing buy a turbo kit that is worth 3 times the value of the car. but, 95% of the people who want to cannibalize their a4 with a turbo kit also drive them every day. a turbo kit with a monster single setup that requires building the entire engine and replacing the entire fuel system and everything else that involves squeezing and extra 250-300 hp out an N/A engine is a bit ridiculous.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:36 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil

Now I know you are a lot more knowledgable than I am and actually learn a lot through your posts. I missed the part when you said K04 (i immediately though 1.8t's). Wouldnt it be possible to really just swap the PT6262, with a K04 and re-tuning the one they have set for the 6262? I dont know if im missing something here.

I thought that once 034 gets this project and kit done, they pretty much have set a solid base for us V6'ers to turbo'ing our cars. The biggest factor in the past was finding a place for the turbo to sit in and getting a tune. I wouldnt really want that much HP right away either. The way he has set up seems to make sense. I mean others always mention about putting the turbo under the trunk or something. I just find that too weird.

Im still interested in following up on 034 single turbo project and see where it'll lead to.

Quick Reply: can i turbo my v6?