B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

can i turbo my v6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Yeah you have to get the S4 intake mani and throttle body, downpipe, S4 exhaust, the intercooler setup and piping, injectors, etc. The engine still has to come out initially though - gotta get the K03s out of the S4 to put this in. And yeah, Max is probably right about getting that power from an A4 no problem...given that you upgrade rods and pistons. Look into the V6's history under boost and you'll see why. PES tunes for the supercharger were crappy, basically a tweaked turbo file, and even on the standard 8psi pulley there were guys melting pistons (that's at 295chp). Throw on the 2.9" overdrive pulley for 12psi and rods were breaking. So how will this turbo setup make 350-400hp on those same rods and pistons? The meth will help (yet another system you'll have to buy) but I don't see it being enough to make the engine stay together at the power goals they have.

I'm not hating on the kit, and I know this sounds a lot like bashing. I'm happy to see innovation still underway for the B5. It just sucks that all the tuners seem to focus on big numbers (at big expense) and no one looks at lower-output kits that would cost less and still give the car a kick in the *** for the much larger potential customer base those setups would create.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:24 AM
vgo
2nd Gear

Im somewhat with you on that. I would much prefer something with the same power as the PES had (295chp) but with a turbo setup. I was hoping that this would have at least been closer to that price range(although still much cheaper than what I originally anticipated). Like I say, Im an optimistic kinda guy. If I need not to worry on a mortgage, and living under the parents roof at almost the age of 30 is considered to be the norm, then I'd be all over this kit.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:54 AM
1st Gear

Max - "8psi from this turbo should be over 300whp, and yes, you could easily swap in a 2.7t block that has forged pistons and run over 450whp safely on the stock motor."

That's what I was referring to.

Wasn't the issue with the PES tune that it was too lean?

For us 2.8 guys we don't need to pull the engine for the install.

This kit was designed and built on a 2.7, but the 2.8 was still very much in mind.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Yes, the PES tune was too lean. Still, from the stories I read on SCAudi.com it seems that once guys went to the overdrive pulley on the blower, they were breaking rods. Melting pistons is an effect from lean-burn conditions for sure, but I always looked at broken rods as a failure for to too much torque. I suppose if detonation was bad enough, the shockwaves could do it, but the det sensor should be quelling that long before rods break.

I may well be completely off-base with my take on this - my interpretation of what Max had posted on AZ was that to get the outputs they're predicting, you'll need at least S4 rotating bits. He's the authority though, not me lol. Believe me, I'm anxious to see dyno runs using an A4 with this setup. I won't be buying it but I'm excited for the results all the same.