AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   Car has trouble starting after putting gas in!! p1136 & p0441!! Please HELP! (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/car-has-trouble-starting-after-putting-gas-p1136-p0441-please-help-166034/)

AudiTurbo 03-12-2011 02:10 PM

Car has trouble starting after putting gas in!! p1136 & p0441!! Please HELP!

So it doesn't matter how much gas is in my car when I add more gas to my car it takes two times for my car to start. I have to hold the pedal to the floor and once is starts I have to keep the revs up until it will idle ok or it will die. After it starts and idles fine I can shut it off and restart it and it runs fine.

I have two codes p1136 (fuel air metering), and p0441 (evap emmisions)

Have any suggestions?
Thanks

morpheous 03-12-2011 02:27 PM

well..obviously gas in your tank,weither it be before and after filling,would have nothing to do with the issue your having,seems to be a vacuum hose leak somewhere.

I don't know about the "fuel air metering" code but it seems related to the "evap emmissions code"

RandomAudiOwner 03-12-2011 07:55 PM

Actually, I've seen this before, on a caravan. What happened on that one was a valve in the breather for the fuel tank failed and was allowing fuel to saturate the carbon canister.

brokentippet 03-13-2011 07:52 AM

Just solved the same problem by replacing the purge control valve (easy fix).
Checking the resistance found my unit to be in the proper range but still did not function. A new Bosch unit runs about $100 but the chinese make an aftermarket for about $60. With the new unit installed the car fired right up after gassing up.

snatchman 03-15-2011 10:17 PM

Having the same issue with my 2000 A4. Can someone tell me were the purge control valve is located?

Rollineuro 03-15-2011 11:52 PM

You didn't use the green handled nozzle did you?

That one's diesel :D

Tweaked 03-16-2011 12:18 PM

This happens ONLY after pumping gas into the tank? If yes, it sounds like your purge valve is stuck open.

Putting your foot on the gas pedal of a fuel injected car turns OFF the injectors. If the car starts only with your foot down, the engine is getting flooded. Causes can be a leak in the injection system or fuel pressure regulator, a saturated carbon canister from topping up too many times, or an open purge valve (N80).

If you suspect an open tank vent or N80, run a short test of the EVAP system with a VAGcom. If no
leaks are detected, the issue is likely elsewhere and the fueling issue may just be a coincidence.

As for the P1136, its saying your fuel mix is too lean at idle. The ECU is trying to fatten the mix. This is an indication of a small vacuum leak or a bad MAF.

Hope this helps in your diagnosis.

Tweaked 03-16-2011 12:33 PM

P.S. the purge valve or N80 is the black round thing with lines and an electrical connection coming from it just above the airbox. My recommendation is use a genuine part to avoid the issue from resurfacing due to a failed part.

brochris77 09-08-2014 05:15 PM

It is located on the firewall above the back of the valve cover on the driver's side of the engine. It is mounted with a rubber and slides up and off the mounting bracket.

tparick46 09-29-2014 08:03 PM

Trouble Starting after Fueling

I had the same problem I replaced the Gas cap and that helped but I keep getting Check Engine Light Code P0441 I have replaced every vaccum line and the secondary air injection pump and still get the code????