AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   car is misfiring? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/car-misfiring-148145/)

MJPassarelli 03-28-2010 04:30 PM

car is misfiring?

the other day when i was with my on my way home i almost ran out of gas, but just barely made it to the gas station, it was literally spitting and sputtering when i pulled into the gas station, after i filled it up it continued to misfire, seems like right now when i am on the throttle hard its not missing, just as a steady throttle you can feel it missing? i am thinking maybe some crap from the bottom of the tank got sucked up and clogged an injector possibly? i tossed in some fuel injector cleaner when i got gas once again and it didnt help, wasnt really surprised either. is their a way you can clean the injectors? i was also maybe thinking it could be the fuel filter? any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

MP

MartinCieslak1 03-28-2010 04:37 PM

Same thing happened here :( It misfires ever since i nearly ran out of gas.

Calmingstorm 03-28-2010 04:45 PM

Odds are the fuel filters toast. When you hit the bottom of a tank all the trash that settles down there gets sucked up.

Tourbo24 03-28-2010 05:02 PM

i ran out of gas once too but i pulled into a parking lot and called my dad to bring me gass. everything was fine after that. when i ran out of gas i could floor it and it just wouldnt go fast lol, is that what happened to you?

MJPassarelli 03-28-2010 07:22 PM

yeah that happened to me as well! like the car just ran like shit, but it stayed alive.. i have the 2.8 V6 FWD, are the fuel filters hard to change, i saw from some other posts about doing the fuel filter on the quattro where they pulled down the gas tank, is it a similar situation for the non quattro?

MartinCieslak1 03-28-2010 07:26 PM

I know i'm kinda hijacking this thread haha but could a clogged fuel filter be the reason my cylinder 1 (the furthest from the gas tank) not be running bbecause gas doenst get there ?

MJPassarelli 03-28-2010 08:36 PM

its possible, when i put the code reader on it, it had a bunch of random codes, like low fuel code, random cylinder misfire codes.. im assuming obviously because when the car got that low the cylinders didnt have gas which caused the misfire. although martin in feel like if you had a clogged fuel filter, it would be random misfiring as well, not just on one cylinder. that makes me feel as if you have an injector problem. i was thinking maybe i had an injector problem but the fuel filter just makes more sense. does anyone have some knowledge on the PES supercharger system? i have had the car for about a year now, and it runs very good, i believe it has the super sprint exhaust installed as well? but i was wondering more like what size the injectors were, also the make and model?

MartinCieslak1 03-28-2010 08:56 PM

Yea I hope it's not the fuel filter because I changed it like 100km before I ran out of gas (and ever since cylinder #1 doesn't fire at all). I'l swap the #1 injector with another that works see if that's the problem..

MJPassarelli 03-28-2010 09:07 PM

if cylinder 1 isnt firing at all then i would say no chance of a fuel filter issue. what does the plug look like one cylinder when you pulled it out?

Hauser0310 03-29-2010 12:31 AM

my car also ran out of gas and started misfiring. it ended up being the number 1 coil that was bad. i had to replace it three times before it stoped but it seems to be fine now.