B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Climate/Radio area buzzing/ticking - so annoying help!

Old 07-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Question Climate/Radio area buzzing/ticking - so annoying help!

Just got a new '01 A4 and trying to iron out a few bugs.

#1 is the unbelievably annoying buzzing/ticking sound coming from around the climate control/radio area. Its clearly audible and annoying. It does not always start right away, but then goes in and out (mostly in). After a bit of reading, thought it may be some sort of air metering fan behind the three slits above the climate control, so I took a can of air and tried blowing it into the space, which did not help eliminate the sound.

I don't know what's all back there that could cause this, but has anyone heard of a problem like this, and potential fix? (I am dreading trying to have to start pulling out this stuff as I know it can be a huge PITA)

Old 07-17-2009, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

There is a small fan behind the climate controls that can wear out and need replacing. I have read about it from other users on the forum of annoying noises coming from the fan. Depending on the year it can be easier or more difficult to replace.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:32 PM

would you happen to have a link that has instructions to help me remove the climate control?

Old 07-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Site Moderator

Never heard of a small fan behind the a/c control head, but ok....
To get the a/c control head out you have to pull out the radio first, to do that you need to buy the radio removal keys. See the four little slots on all four corners of your radio? Thats where you insert the keys, they lock in place then pull straight outwards, once thats out you can get your hand behind the a/c control head and just push it out.
However i doubt thats where the noise is coming from, but it will help you diagnose it further.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:30 PM
1st Gear

My mistake, I think the fan is located behind the hazard switch? I have only read about a couple of times. I have heard of a small fan the is used to measure the temp inside of the car. Maybe someone who knows more can elaborate.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Site Moderator

There is no fan, there is a sensor that measures the interior temp built into the A/C control head, which is where the three little slots are. Im placing my money on a loose bracket or something, i have found lots of those behind the dash panel in my day.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:05 PM
4th Gear

Are not the flapper motors there? Could be one of those.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:49 AM

update for anyone that cars/has same issue:

After some reading on the ol web, there are a ton of good info over at the audiworld forums. Its definently the fan makeing noise that is behind the 3 slits right above the climate control. I stuck a straw through the bottom slit and actually stopped the fan (and hence the buzzing).

It actually sits on top of the climate control, and sucks in air to be metered. I took a can of air and blew into the fan to break up any dust. This helped a bit, but the sound came right back. So i took a can of triflow poly based lubricant and sprayed a mist shot. May or may not work, but if the fan is bad, why not try?

My car sat a lot, so I am guessing this caused dust to get in and dirty the bearings. Appears to be a common problem, and the fan is about $100-120...hard part is gaining access to it. I guess you can unplug it from behind as well if you have small hands.

thanks all!

Old 07-20-2009, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:56 AM
4th Gear

the fan is about $100-120...
If its a 12v fan (most likely ), then just about any Radio Shack, TV repair shop, computer shop will have a suitable replacement for $5-10.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Climate/Radio area buzzing/ticking - so annoying help!