B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Seat Heater Fire

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Seat Heater Fire

Recently the passenger side seat heater caught fire in our 2001 A4 Avant 1.8 Quattro.
It burnt through the vinyl upholstery/my wife's full length down coat/and almost through her slacks.
It put a good-sized welt on her bum and almost caused a car accident once she starts screaming and flinging off her seatbelt and trying to jump out of the seat.
I'm talking to Audi USA currently but so far they have not been able (or willing) to tell me if this is a known issue.

Has anybody else had this occur to them?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

My driver seat heater burned through the leather and my jacket. Called Audi the day after and they took care of everything from a new heating element to new leather on the seat. Didnt cost me a dime. Although the dealer I was told to bring it too sucked, everything was fixed well.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

No way. I'm interested in finding out the cause of this incident.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear

was always curious about this, never seen nor heard of it before.

but i do know if you leave the heaters on a lot that it can cause damage to your vehicle's seats and such, and apparently your rear end as well..

sorry to hear it and good luck, lets hope they at least pay for damages.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear

shoo...i wish my driver side seat would catch fire,i would love to call Audi of america and get my replacemnt leather seat.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Dang man I hope your wife is alright. Definitely don't take "no" for an answer on this one, AoA needs to make this right.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:49 AM
4th Gear

I'm fully confident that AoA will take care of you. I've never heard of this happening before now. I hope your wife is okay. My wife is a heated seats kind of girl as well, in my car, her car, or the car before the one she has now. It drives me nuts when she leaves them on

Anyway, let us know how things work out.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

Ive never seen/eard of that before. If I was severely burned, i would sue AoA.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
I'm fully confident that AoA will take care of you. I've never heard of this happening before now. I hope your wife is okay. My wife is a heated seats kind of girl as well, in my car, her car, or the car before the one she has now. It drives me nuts when she leaves them on

Anyway, let us know how things work out.

DAMN, I thought i was the only one that got irritated when there significant other leaves your seat heaters on. Good to know lol.. oh they will drain your battery damn quick too if you have your key forward listening to music or something and those are on.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:07 PM
3rd Gear

Its happened before, pretty sure this is why your manual says not to put too much pressure on one spot on the seat (such as leaning in on one knee) as it can damage the heat element. I had to stop using my drivers side heater because it would only heat one spot and it would get hot as hell.

Quick Reply: Seat Heater Fire