B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Control arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 05:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Control arms

i need a new control arm coz my current one is already rattling and stuff on passenger side...i heard that they come for both sides only left and right but im not sure if thats true...where can i get cheap control arms and it doesnt matter if it comes for both sides...

Old 08-11-2008, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

ebay.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:49 PM
3rd Gear

My buddy at work bougth a complete left and right front control arm set at FCP Groton, but only replaced one of the control arms. He actually wants to sell the set (minus the one he used) just to get a little back on what he spent. He has since sold his Audi, and you could buy his set (and buy the single control arm separately, I'll find out which one if you want) and save you some cash. I'll let you know if he has the complete passenger side or not. PM me if interested.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:48 AM
2nd Gear

EBAY! i did mine last year and saved a jank load getting them off ebay. no problems with mine so far. if its just the upper arms itll be around $150 thats about what mine were

Old 08-12-2008, 03:39 AM
1st Gear

ok ill try to find out which arm is it and ill see what i can get...

Old 08-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Site Moderator

All I can say is do a ton of research before buying anything that has a ball joint or a bushing on it from ebay. Ebay parts are usually the equivalent or less than that of the cheapest part you can get as an OEM equivalent at auto zone, etc. I'm a member of a couple other enthusiast sites and while they may not be Audi specific, I have read countless threads about poor experiences with ebay suspension and steering related components, especially anything like tie rods, lower ball joints, complete control arms, etc. Stay away from the brand "OE Parts" at all costs. If "cheap" is all you're concerned about, then expect similar quality and lifespan. A lot of times the ebay store won't even advertise what brand makes the part(s) they are selling. Walk away from that no matter how appealing the price is.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 08-12-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:13 PM
3rd Gear

Hey dzemaitis, haven't heard back from you yet, did you get yourself some new control arms for the passenger side?

A friend I work with is selling a complete front control arm kit (minus the drivers side lower front control arm). The only control arm that he used out of the complete kit was the driver's side front lower control arm. He has the full passenger side, and driver side uppers and lower rear control arm. He also has the sway bar links, all the new nuts and bolts (including pinch bolts), and I believe tie rod ends too. He installed the one control arm, but then traded his car in, so he's looking to give you a deal on his almost complete kit.

Where are you located? He's in Connecticut, so he only wants about $250 (neg?) plus shipping cost, and it's a great quality FCP Groton kit. The kit costs about $498 for everything, and I think it's all Meyle/Febi OEM parts. No cheap China parts that some Ebay stores sell.
Let me know. PM me and I'll try to set it up for you.

this is the kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...spagenameZWDVW

Last edited by Bogie; 08-13-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:01 AM

ATTENTION !!! DO NOT BUY "FCP Groton" or "Hamburg Technics" THEY R CRAP, I BOUGHT 4 ARMS FROM THEM AND THEY LAST FOR 3 MONTHS!!! TOTAL CRAP CHINESE MADE PARTS! + THOSE ******* DIDN'T LET ME RETURN EVEN IF THEY CLAIMED 1 YR WARRANTY?!?!?

HERE IS THE BEST WEBSITE AND THE BES CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER FOR GERMAN CARS (ORIGINAL PARTS). ALL PARTS HAVE WARRANTY AND ALL PARTS ARE PERFECT, AND THEY R CHEEP ( $44 ONE UPPER ARM, $87 LOWER ARM)

WWW.AUTOHAUSAZ.COM EVEN THEY HAVE FREE SHIPPING!

I HAD TO LEARN ON HARD WAY...

Old 08-16-2008, 09:14 AM
1st Gear
Default Loading

I'm just curios were some of the bushings/balljoints being tigtened while in the air? Because if they were I've been told they will be loaded more, putting more force on them once lowered to the ground, and fail in 3 months.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Default arms mounting

Originally Posted by SuperStuff
I'm just curios were some of the bushings/balljoints being tigtened while in the air? Because if they were I've been told they will be loaded more, putting more force on them once lowered to the ground, and fail in 3 months.
all the arms were tightened with certain pressure proposed by audi repair manual and they were tightened while in loaded position!

Quick Reply: Control arms