B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Custom Intake With Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:35 AM
1st Gear
Default Custom Intake With Pics

Ya so make up my own intake with a heat sheild and i thought i was just let you guys see. Sorry for bad cell phone pics.

Name:  CAI2.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  28.3 KB

Name:  CAI3.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  9.5 KB

Name:  CAI4.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  16.0 KB

Name:  CAI1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  22.2 KB

Old 06-03-2008, 02:12 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Custom Intake With Pics

Mm. Under hood air. Watch your MAF and fuel trims with a scan tool. You'd be suprised how much restricted, hot air you're sucking even with a heat shield.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:20 AM

this is a good way to make your car even slower[:@]

Old 06-03-2008, 03:24 AM
2nd Gear

But it sounds cool!
Get a piece of 5/8" heater hose, and cut a slit down the length of it, then slide it over the heat shield. It'll make the shield appear to be factory, since all the rest of the underhood sharp edges are covered. Maybe someday I'll take picsof my shield, but probably not.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Tweaked

Mm. Under hood air. Watch your MAF and fuel trims with a scan tool. You'd be suprised how much restricted, hot air you're sucking even with a heat shield.
Speaking of hot air, you should ditch that stock SMIC and get a real intercooler

As for the "hot air" being sucked in; will the stock vs aftermarket really make a difference? The temperature variation between the outside air and the air under your hood may be large, but it really won't matter. By the time the air is utilized, the temperatures of a stock vs aftermarket intake will be very close, if not identical; to the point where such a trivial difference is insignificant.

All of this fuss over stock intake systems being better due to cool air is just mental masturbation.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:49 AM
2nd Gear

Eh, I have a massive hole in my fender with mesh over it. The air is cold enough.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:59 AM
1st Gear

its really not sucking any hot air at all. i know that intakes dont do that much for these cars. I am not stupid. i had even placed a small thermomater by the fillter so see if it is getting hot and its not so ya.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:55 AM
3rd Gear

I have the same **** in my car. Sounds way louder than my friend's 6 speed B6 and I don't even have a DV yet. Actually made my stock exhaust louder. I ghetto rigged a pretty good set up of heat shields and my filter stay cool to the touch. Evoms and Carbonio are no better than custom breathers and filters. Just pretty CF covers.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:58 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: tooxtreme8813

this is a good way to make your car even slower[:@]
Only in traffic and who needs to be faster while driving 10 mph.[8D]

Did younotice he is still using the stock inlet tube that feeds air to the stock air box? So he still has something directing outside air in that areawhich means the air temps will not be any higher then it woud be in the stock air box since the air is also being sucked out from that area from under the car as it is being driven hard.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:06 AM
2nd Gear

i agree that it may be sucking in a bit of hot air, but at the same time not enough to actually make it slower in normal driving, i have the same style setup on my car so..........

Quick Reply: Custom Intake With Pics