B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Diverter Valve Reloaction

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:15 AM
Legal Moderator

oil in the intake tract can really only mean two things: turbo oil seals are bad or you have pcv problems. i vote pcv problems. hows the outside of the engine look as far as oil goes?

Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 PM
2nd Gear

Your DV may have been stuck open, that could have been your problem for losing power and the reason you got power back when you blocked off one side.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:04 PM
1st Gear

@Redline
Yes no doubt I agree some of the seals are definitely bad. Even now the car is losing oil faster than it should but I can live with that amount. The engine looks fine.

With the DV, it was working fine with stock smic, once the fmic went in, it all went south, that's what I really don't get. Unless like you say meloman the DV was stuck open, but what a coincidence that would be, when the fmic is installed, the DV decides to fail, highly unlikely.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:23 AM
1st Gear

the amount of oil that he is loosing would more likely be turbo seals than the pcv system.

i dont really know how to explain this part but ill try lol... he says he is getting blue smoke...

therefore, there must be a significant amount of oil entering the combustion. the amount of oil that gets past the cold side of the turbo would have to be quite a bit to cause this.
now i know if oil is making its way past the seal on the hot side, you would get the burnt oil smell in the exhaust but i am unsure if you would see the blue smoke unless there was a flame from the exhaust through the turbine.

lastly it depends on the conditions that the smoke is occurring. is it under wot? during decel, or cruising.

if its under decel then this would point to valve guide seals failing, cruising would point to piston rings going.. wot or acceleration would be either turbo or piston rings.

that being said, the easiest and "cheapest" way is to pull the turbo and swap in a replacement. if you pull the turbo and take the exhaust housing off, look at the turbine and the heat shield in there.. if its caked up in oil, you definitely know its the turbo.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by george1546
@Redline
Unless like you say meloman the DV was stuck open, but what a coincidence that would be, when the fmic is installed, the DV decides to fail, highly unlikely.
hey **** happens. not to mention, youd have a much better shot of the dv sticking open instead a fmic making your car less powerful. theres something else that is wrong. dv's dont cause oil leaks and fmic's dont cause power losses.