B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Does a stock A4 B5 1.8T throw you back in your seat?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:55 PM
2nd Gear

If you are worried about a boost leak you can simply install a boost gauge and that will tell you a lot. Also with a tune I've been told you will get 18-20 PSI from the stock turbo, boosts the HP from 150 to around 190 as well.

I haven't really looked into a tune yet because I just bought my Audi and want to make sure everything else is perfect.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:58 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Jeremy Decker
Yeah my Audi after I put in the stock ECU was not really impressing but still very nice. I have a 1998 AEB 1.8T Quattro 5speed. I do get a kick back when I have my chipped ECU in. The flutter or chirp is your diverter valve.....hard to hear but sometimes you can.
So even after a tune you weren't impressed? I think that's the first time I've read that. The difference was impressive at all?

Old 02-27-2014, 07:00 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy
The A4 1.8t is a luxury sedan, whereas a Skyline GT-R is one of Japan's fastest 2 door production sports cars. You can't even compare the two (in any way, shape or form).

Having said that: I think my (relatively) stock A4 has plenty of pull, but I also have a 2001.5 (which has 10-12psi. stock - 170hp) and a 5-speed.

I'm not sure what your stock specs are, but you can always chip it, free up the exhaust and intake (just a drop-in filter, no crazy CAI BS.) and I'm pretty sure you'll have a monster (considering what it is - A luxury sedan).

Hope that helps.
Are you talking about replacing the stock filter in the stock airbox with something like a K&N? I'm looking to get more or the "whoosh"/"sucking" sound from my stock 1.8.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:13 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by adam044
Are you talking about replacing the stock filter in the stock airbox with something like a K&N? I'm looking to get more or the "whoosh"/"sucking" sound from my stock 1.8.
Most people just put a reusable panel filter in the airbox, but that doesn't do much for power or sound. You can run a cone filter if you would like, it will definitely have more audible sounds from the turbo. It won't add any power, and if you do it incorrectly you will lose power, but it sounds better than the stock airbox IMO

Old 02-27-2014, 07:26 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Pbcrazy
Most people just put a reusable panel filter in the airbox, but that doesn't do much for power or sound. You can run a cone filter if you would like, it will definitely have more audible sounds from the turbo. It won't add any power, and if you do it incorrectly you will lose power, but it sounds better than the stock airbox IMO
I know it won't add any power it's sad that people think that it does. Do you have an example of what something like this would look like with a cone filter? Is that the setup you run?

Old 02-27-2014, 08:27 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by adam044
I know it won't add any power it's sad that people think that it does. Do you have an example of what something like this would look like with a cone filter? Is that the setup you run?
Yep I run a 3" AEM Dry flow filter, I'll see if I can find a picture
Edit, this is a picture from before I revised my heatshield. If you want a better picture with the snorkel removed let me know:
Name:  photo_zps1f422821.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  97.8 KB

Last edited by Pbcrazy; 02-27-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:28 PM
2nd Gear

Cool thanks.

Sorry for the kind of off topic OP.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

All good.

Regarding my perceived lack of power. There probably is nothing really wrong with my car. I don't have an air gun to do a pressure test with and don't really want to pay $200+ for a boost gauge kit. On that topic, does anyone know of a cheap boost gauge kit? Perhaps mounted in the centre vent?

Old 02-27-2014, 08:53 PM
2nd Gear

Edit, this is a picture from before I revised my heatshield. If you want a better picture with the snorkel removed let me know:
So in that picture the snorkel is not connected to anything correct? How/what did you connect the filter to? Couple of couplings and then a filter? Pretty simply right?

Old 02-27-2014, 08:58 PM
2nd Gear

OP: You can always boost check by turning on the car and moving your ear around listening for air.
Adam: the snorkel isn't connected but on the stock turbo you should have the bottom half of the airbox in (my tip/MAF/Filter are to large to do this) and have the snorkel connected. The filter is held onto the maf by a hose clamp, some say having a filter directly on the maf is bad since the air "Isnt straight" when going into the MAF but there has never been any proof and my car runs fine.

Last edited by Pbcrazy; 02-27-2014 at 09:03 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does a stock A4 B5 1.8T throw you back in your seat?