B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Door latch problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:27 PM
2nd Gear
Default Door latch problem

Ever since I bought this car the driver's door latch has been weird, sometimes it wouldn't latch shut when I closed the door (door just bounces back open). After trying to figure out why I realized that the door has a better chance of latching if I let got at the last second and let if swing closed under its own momentum instead of holding on to it the whole time. I also noticed a squeaking noise coming from that same door when driving over rough roads, probably from the chassis flexing and the door not being latched well enough. Finally, a couple of days ago I hit a big bump with the front driver's corner of the car and the door just popped open to the half-latched position and refused to latch fully until I stopped and closed it. Also, not sure if it's related but my interior driver's door handle has alot of play, I can move it about 1/3rd of it's total swing before it catches and unlocks the door.

Could it be as simple as the striker being out of alignment or is my latch/mechanism busted? I don't want to rip out the door panel unless I have to because I know how fragile those damn clips are.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:01 PM
2nd Gear

id personally try greasing up the latch mechanism. alot of the time when it "bounces back" it because its not open to grab the "loop" on the body. a flathead cna be used top reopen the "hook".

once open play with it, grease it up you should be ok.

as for the interior handle, that's prone to happen over time because its used so much more then the others. (you can buy a new replacement assembly at ecstuning.com for like $70-25) or go to a junkyard and hope for the best.

that's my 2cents

Old 02-01-2011, 05:49 PM
2nd Gear

I thought about greasing it but it seems to me that the problem's more with it not being able to hold the door as strongly as it should. I've already tried playing with the latch with a screwdriver and it moves freely.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 PM
2nd Gear

hmm weird, it could be toast but i wouldn't know i guess =/