AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   Engine died and wont start (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/engine-died-wont-start-120331/)

Matt m 12-08-2008 10:07 PM

Engine died and wont start

To start I just want to say hi! I am new to this site, but not new to forums. I have been searching for a while now to try to find out the reason for this problem and have a few ideas. I was driving home today and and my car just died. no sputtering or any warning it just stopped running, and i have not been able to start it since. My car is a 1997 a4 2.8 quatro Tomorow i am planning on scanning the computer for any codes that might have popped up. I am thinking it has something to do with a clogged fuel filter or something with fuel. if anyone has any information that could help that would be great.

Jc61990 12-08-2008 10:20 PM

check your fuses make sure the fuel pump fuse didnt blow

cincyTT 12-08-2008 10:25 PM

Could be as simple as faulty plugs. Might wanna pull one out and see if its covered in gas or is dry as a bone

Matt m 12-08-2008 10:47 PM

Thanks guys I will check both of the things you mentioned.

shady927 12-09-2008 12:05 AM

when u turn the key does the car try to turn over or do u get nothing?

david9999 12-09-2008 03:59 AM

Spark, fuel, timing.

Could be as simple as a bad battery connection if you have no power and car doesn't crank. If the engine cranks, it could be fuse to fuel pump. Could be ECU.

Saving the worst scenario for last, it could be your timing belt has snapped, which given your story fits

. Assuming that you have power to the car and the fuse to the fuel pump isn't gone, I'd have someone check the timing belt ASAP and not crank the car. If the belt is snapped, turning the engine over can damage the valves further, if they already aren't toast.

Matt m 12-09-2008 09:40 AM

The car does turn over, and i did check the timing belt and it has not snapped. I also checked the fuse to the fuel pump and its ok. Thanks for all of the help so far. I am going tol check the spark plugs today, and change the fuel filter, hoapfully its an easy fix.

rplets15 12-09-2008 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Matt m (Post 1005532)
The car does turn over, and i did check the timing belt and it has not snapped. I also checked the fuse to the fuel pump and its ok. Thanks for all of the help so far. I am going tol check the spark plugs today, and change the fuel filter, hoapfully its an easy fix.

someone correct me if im wrong but if the car doesnt turn over then it would be the battery but seince it died while he was driving couldnt it be the alturnator *sp*

cincyTT 12-09-2008 12:28 PM

If the car doesnt start up it still can be either. Plugs will tell more.

BTW, he has a V6 so the belt isnt a problem like the 1.8t

micah 12-09-2008 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Matt m (Post 1005532)

What exactly do you mean by it does not turn over? Like do you turn the key and nothing? Does the radio/accessories come on when you turn the key? I agree that if this is the case, I would start with jumping it and see if it's the battery.