B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Extreme Cold, Leaking Injectors, Pulley Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:00 PM
2nd Gear

It sounding like it could just be your SAI pump failing or cold (cross your fingers).....since you smell that funny smell...the SAI pump is only supposed to run for the first 20 or so minutes after start etc, sometimes while driving......and since yours goes away after it fully warms up, you can pull the fuse for the SAI pump and see if it goes away, I THINK it's the 40A fuse in the ECU fuse box-but look it up first....

Last edited by markymarc; 01-07-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by markymarc
It sounding like it could just be your SAI pump failing or cold (cross your fingers).....since you smell that funny smell...the SAI pump is only supposed to run for the first 20 or so minutes after start etc, sometimes while driving......and since yours goes away after it fully warms up, you can pull the fuse for the SAI pump and see if it goes away, I THINK it's the 40A fuse in the ECU fuse box....or, if you know where the SAI pump is, unplug it-if the pump is bad, it will throw those SAI codes you mentioned above....
It's worth a shot I suppose. Do you know the physical location of the SAI? We've managed to locate the sound pretty definitively to basically right where the power steering pump is.

Should the noise stop completely if the SAI fuse is pulled and it (luckily) happens to be the problem?

Thanks again guys, all my experience is on the electrical and audio side of autos, I need all the help I can get with mechanical!

Old 01-07-2014, 08:16 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by cekren
It's worth a shot I suppose. Do you know the physical location of the SAI? We've managed to locate the sound pretty definitively to basically right where the power steering pump is.

Should the noise stop completely if the SAI fuse is pulled and it (luckily) happens to be the problem?

Thanks again guys, all my experience is on the electrical and audio side of autos, I need all the help I can get with mechanical!
Here's a link that somewhat explains where it's at and I'm attaching a picture of the relay/fuse location...

It could be the SAI pump...or if the noise is ACTUALLY coming from the PS pump, it's not that bad and is not a hard fix/replacement....pentosin PS fluid (audi stuff) is really good generally about working in the cold, but mine has had it's problems in -20....

Bentley Publishers - Technical Discussions : Secondary Air pump failing - recall? ...

Attached Thumbnails Extreme Cold, Leaking Injectors, Pulley Noise?-4897838531_4266956386.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear

And yes, if you pull the fuse, the pump won't run and the noise should stop...unless it's the PS pump....and you are already throwing the code that may relate to the failure of the SAI pump....

The SAI pump is there to help the engine warm up faster for emissions, so if it's FREEZING cold out, it may run longer....

Last edited by markymarc; 01-07-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:52 PM
2nd Gear

You did put the Audi 11s Pentosin fluid in your PS system right? Not normal PS fluid? Just want to make sure....

Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 PM
1st Gear

You did put the Audi 11s Pentosin fluid in your PS system right? Not normal PS fluid? Just want to make sure....
Pentosin CHF11S - Hydraulic System Fluid | O'Reilly Auto Parts

This is what was used to fill the PS reservoir - so yes, it was Pentosin 11s!

Old 01-08-2014, 08:10 AM
2nd Gear

Was just checking, some folks put in the wrong stuff.....LOL

Let us know if it was the SAI pump or the PS pump...or, if it just goes away when it warms up....

Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

Was just checking, some folks put in the wrong stuff.....LOL

Let us know if it was the SAI pump or the PS pump...or, if it just goes away when it warms up....
I can believe that, haha - I'll make sure to update as soon as possible after we get the belt off and the SAI disabled on Thursday.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

Quick question about the SAI - where is this relay and fuse location? Do I have to remove the ECU? I found this picture of the different module locations, and it seems to be number 16 that I'm looking for, but how do I access it?

1 - Battery
2 - Connector station, right
3 - Cruise control, control module -J213-
4 - Airbag control module -J234-
5 - Automatic Transmission Control Module (TCM) -J217-
Location: in plastic box under carpet in front of passenger seat
6 - Data Link Connector (DLC)
Locations:
Below rear ashtray or
Behind driver's-side kneebar
7 - Central locking/alarm system/interior light delay control module -V94-
With IR remote control
With radio remote control
8 - Control module for ultra-sound sensors -J347-
9 - ABS control module (w/EDL) -J104-
10 - Heated door lock control module -J210/-J211-
11 - Instrument cluster
12 - Fuse panel
13 - Connector station, left
Inside of A-pillar, bottom left
14 - Central electric unit
15 - Relay panel
16 - Auxiliary relay panel/auxiliary fuse panel
17 - Electronics box (engine control module)
Location: integrated with auxiliary relay panel and auxiliary fuse panel
18 - Control module for anti-theft immobilizer -J362-

Old 01-08-2014, 08:54 PM
1st Gear

Nevermind on the previous post!

Took the serpentine belt off and it ran like a charm. Still having issues with gas spraying out of the injectors when cold, but we've narrowed the noise problem definitely down to the PS pump. Taking it into the shop we bought the car from this weekend to get it swapped. Looking at around $120 for the pump (best price I found, shop guy said he'd look around and see if he could find anything better) and $120 for labor - there aren't many shops in town that will even touch Audi's, unfortunately....

While it's in we were going to get the injectors checked out, most likely replace the o-rings which they're asking $100 for. This seems a bit high to me(?) but at the same time we don't have any place indoors to work on it and I certainly don't want to be messing with the injectors outside in this weather...

When the serp was off, I could hear the SAI running, it was a nice low hum, but it shut off after a few second and a CEL came on (engine was not running, this was in accessory mode). The vacuum hoses for it seem to be pretty torn up, but at least it's better than if the motor or electrical had gone out...