B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Fault Code: P1101 & P1106 - PICs and Video, Car & Dash Go Dead

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 05:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Fault Code: P1101 & P1106 - PICs and Video, Car & Dash Go Dead

Ok, I'm back....

Overview: 1997 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8L 163K miles, 5spd.

I did some work over the weekend, got the car to run. Now I'm faced with two fault codes: P1101 & P1106.

Scenario - start the car and I get this image (see below). What does 1n1 mean in the odometer?

Second Scenario - driving the car (watch video) the dash goes dead, then comes back to life. Power to engine is on. Link to video: https://picasaweb.google.com/1099319...20912403812786

So, what are the fault codes? And, why do my gauges go dead while driving? Loose ground wire somewhere?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by dailybeast; 06-06-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Administrator

IIRC, P1101 and P1106 are O2 sensor codes, though I can't recall which ones. The 1in1 you're seeing below the odo is a service interval light, basically an idiot light reminding you to change the oil. You can ignore it like most of us, or if it bugs you search for "reset service interval light" and you should be able to find a DIY to reset it. Its a certain combination of pushing buttons and turning the key I think. You can also reset it with Vag-COM if you have that handy.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
IIRC, P1101 and P1106 are O2 sensor codes, though I can't recall which ones. The 1in1 you're seeing below the odo is a service interval light, basically an idiot light reminding you to change the oil. You can ignore it like most of us, or if it bugs you search for "reset service interval light" and you should be able to find a DIY to reset it. Its a certain combination of pushing buttons and turning the key I think. You can also reset it with Vag-COM if you have that handy.
Great. Thanks for the info about the O2 codes and what 1n1 means.

Any thoughts on the gauge problem? Seems like a loose wire or could it be a bad fuse or relay? The car does stutter when the gauges go in and out.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 PM
2nd Gear

Could be your ignition switch I believe, try shaking your key when it happens.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:24 PM
3rd Gear

Pull the cluster and check the connections behind it. Use stabilant on the connectors. Also, check your cowl area and ECM for water entry.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:52 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tweaked
Pull the cluster and check the connections behind it. Use stabilant on the connectors. Also, check your cowl area and ECM for water entry.
Thanks. Good point to check connectors on the Gauge Cluster and water entry in the ECM. I've only had the car for a week and a half; and the previous owner did enough to keep the car alive as I'm finding out.

I'll check on those things tomorrow. Was able to drive it home from the office after installing a new battery. Still don't trust the electrical system.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:51 PM
1st Gear

New Battery has helped. I did not run the a/c on my way into work and noticed that my charge stayed above 12. Anything below 12 and the dash goes crazy and the car cuts out.

It's most likely air-fuel mixture (vacuum and fuel delivery) and the electrical system. I'm going to have some more fun this weekend. Thankfully it hasn't hit 100 yet in the mornings for the daily commute.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:03 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dailybeast
New Battery has helped. I did not run the a/c on my way into work and noticed that my charge stayed above 12. Anything below 12 and the dash goes crazy and the car cuts out.

It's most likely air-fuel mixture (vacuum and fuel delivery) and the electrical system. I'm going to have some more fun this weekend. Thankfully it hasn't hit 100 yet in the mornings for the daily commute.
Ah... watching the video and knowing the above info makes me think you're alternator is on it's way out.

Check by looking for water entry. Check above the driver's footwell too where the relay panel is.

Then check your charging system.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tweaked
Ah... watching the video and knowing the above info makes me think you're alternator is on it's way out.

Check by looking for water entry. Check above the driver's footwell too where the relay panel is.

Then check your charging system.
Thanks. I had the alternator out and tested at the auto parts store when I replaced the starter. It checked out fine, but you're probably right (and the pit in my stomach saying I should have replaced it when it was out is nagging at me as well).

I'll be looking into the fuses tonight when I get home. Alternator will be this weekend again.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Still Not Working :(

Replaced the Alternator. Car will not charge.

I ran the car for two hours last night. The voltmeter would show 8-12 and periodically the car would stall.

Any ideas? I'm beginning to loathe this vehicle.

Checked the box under the hood, no water. Checked the fuses on the side of the dash, all good.

Am I looking for a loose wire? Bad Ground? What else could it be?

Quick Reply: Fault Code: P1101 & P1106 - PICs and Video, Car & Dash Go Dead