AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   Front End Clunk (Good Controls Arms, Good TRE's, Good Sway Bar Links) (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/front-end-clunk-good-controls-arms-good-tres-good-sway-bar-links-95387/)

Dallas09 03-17-2008 07:12 PM

Front End Clunk (Good Controls Arms, Good TRE's, Good Sway Bar Links)

Alright, so my control arms are good (i replaced them a few months ago) and my TRE's look fine, along with the sway bar linksand there seems to be no play. There is no play wheni shake the wheel either. However, when i go over bumps it makes a clunk (its more tighter sounding than a clunk though, but not quite a pop) and i believe it does it on both sides. Could it possibly be the strut bushings or something like that cause i cant seem to find the problem im stumped. BTW there is no shimmy or shake at high speeds and nothing weird when you turn hard. I dont believe its the tranny or engine mounts either.

Thanks

Dallas09 03-23-2008 05:43 PM

RE: Front End Clunk (Good Controls Arms, Good TRE's, Good Sway Bar Links)

Bump

SAudi 03-23-2008 05:47 PM

sounds liek bad shocks to me, my dads jetta is doing the same thing on teh back end.

Dallas09 03-24-2008 10:35 PM

Thanks for the reply.Any idea how to test those or do you just replace them?

ImTheDevil 03-24-2008 11:02 PM

I'm not aware of any way to definitively test them, but you can kind of confirm them the way you already have - through process of elimination. A couple things you can do to indirectly tell are to a) give a good solid shove over the strut in question and let go of the car. Sitting still in the driveway, it should only bounce maybe once. If it's weak, it won't fully dampen the spring's compression/rebound, and it'll bounce a few times. Also, rub your hand along the tread of the tire at the suspect corner of the car. If you can feel an undulation in the tread, then the strut is bad and its inability to dampen the car at speed is causing it to quickly oscillate at speed, causing the tread to wear in a "wavy" pattern. Either of those symptoms will point to a strut going bad.

01AudiA4 03-25-2008 12:45 AM

Hmmm my same problem. When i open my pass side door and jump up and down. It clunks.A lot.

Ldetter 03-25-2008 08:35 AM

I too have the same problem. Clunk comes from the drivers side front only when going slow over speed bumps or other dips in the road. Curious to what this is also. I checked the tie rod ends and ball joints this weekend and they all seem good.

Dallas09 03-25-2008 07:25 PM

I checked the struts they seemed to be okay, it didnt bounce and the tire wear seems even. I noticed a while back that the nut on the right side (look towards car from front) of my transmission mount was missing so i put on on there and it made the clunk slightly better but not really it stillsounds like there is still soemthing making noise. (However, this might fix it for some of you that had posted.)

I rechecked the tranny mounts and they still look good, however; i cant get the bolts very tight on the left one i dont know if this is normal or what you can just turn and turn and it will keep tension but never get really tight its weird but the mount seems to be securly fastened and the transmission doesnt seem to easily move....

I guess next ill try and figure out how to test the engine mount (if anyone knows how to that would be great) and the diff mount if there is one, otherwise i dont know what else to do i guess im just out of luck...