AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   Front seat question (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/front-seat-question-206604/)

A4 2000 04-01-2014 11:38 PM

Front seat question

I was just wondering if the backrest can be separated. from the bottom portion of the seat. The vinyl where you sit down is ripped open and I wanted to take it to an auto interior repair shop. It would save a lot of room in my other car if I can just take the bottom part.

A4TurboGuy 04-02-2014 08:28 AM

I had the same problem. You don't have to take the seat out at all. Just drop the car off at an auto upholstery shop and have them re-stitch it w/o removing anything (any good shop should be able to do that).

G/L

A4 2000 04-02-2014 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy (Post 1468398)
I had the same problem. You don't have to take the seat out at all. Just drop the car off at an auto upholstery shop and have them re-stitch it w/o removing anything (any good shop should be able to do that).

G/L

Actually the car is inoperable at the moment. This is just something I wanted to take care of in the meantime.

MetalMan 04-02-2014 10:21 AM

I bought a used passenger-front lower seat cushion from a guy for $110 shipped, and I intend to use the leatherette skin from that seat to re-skin my driver's seat. It's my understanding that two slits will need to be cut in the skin, but otherwise will work great.

Sounds like it's a pain to get the seat apart, especially without breaking plastic pieces though.

B5bretheren 04-02-2014 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy (Post 1468398)

G/L

I would not advise anyone to do this.

I've done it and about 6+ month later, I'm back at square one with the seat ripped. Replaced it with a replica seat cover and it split on me again. Better off getting one new or used from the junk yard.

A4TurboGuy 04-03-2014 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by A4 2000 (Post 1468403)
Actually the car is inoperable at the moment. This is just something I wanted to take care of in the meantime.

Ahhh! Gotcha.

Originally Posted by B5bretheren (Post 1468445)
I would not advise anyone to do this.

I've done it and about 6+ month later, I'm back at square one with the seat ripped. Replaced it with a replica seat cover and it split on me again. Better off getting one new or used from the junk yard.

That sounds like a poor job from a bad shop and just plain ol' bad luck.

I dropped my car off at a local upholstery shop. It took them nearly no time at all and mine is still beautiful (for $75) after 8+ months. Not a single problem.

BaseDrifter 04-03-2014 03:25 PM

This thread has a lot of info on seats: AudiWorld Tech Articles