B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

FWD Rear Axle Beam Guide Bushing DIY replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
The reason I replaced the bushings was because I kissed a curb with my rear right wheel, damaging the axle beam in the process (also stuffed the right front wheel into the same curb...). My replacement (junk yard) axle beam needed new bushings, so that's where this DIY came from. Your sloppy back end certainly could be caused by failing bushings, and my back end feels pretty solid.

Do you have the Factory Service Manual? It actually mentions aligning the axle beam, and how to do it. In fact I have a copy of it printed out and sitting on my desk right now, because I need a full front/rear alignment

I imagine your air ride setup could wreak havoc on those bushings. These bushings are similar to the front lower control arm bushings in the sense that the bolt going through them should be tightened only with the vehicle supporting its own weight.
Hmmmm didn't even consider the airride. I bet you're right. It just feels loose back there sometimes when taking a tight turn or something. I have a Bentley service manual and I haven't been able to find anything about ailigning the rearend. I think it being off on one side is an indacator those bushings may be going bad though.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by thepirate
Hmmmm didn't even consider the airride. I bet you're right. It just feels loose back there sometimes when taking a tight turn or something. I have a Bentley service manual and I haven't been able to find anything about ailigning the rearend. I think it being off on one side is an indacator those bushings may be going bad though.
Most of the time I check out the FSM before I look at Bentley (actually I only bought a Bentley for the electric schematics...).

Would you like me to send you the PDF from the FSM on alignment?

Old 06-15-2012, 04:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
Most of the time I check out the FSM before I look at Bentley (actually I only bought a Bentley for the electric schematics...).

Would you like me to send you the PDF from the FSM on alignment?
Yes please!! PMing you my email.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:11 PM

Sent

Old 01-13-2019, 12:18 PM
1st Gear

My bushing are done on my A4 as well :/ got to change them but I just found these polyeruthane bushings https://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-...ush/11354.html , would these fit ? I’m not sure yet but I think if I could get my hands on some of these would be real nice . I appreciate the step by step process , it was really helpful I am tempted to do this by myself as well