B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

GTRS Turbo Upgrade Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:14 PM
1st Gear
Default GTRS Turbo Upgrade Checklist

Alright, so I really want to upgrade my turbo to a GTRS and found the elim kit for it. But I know there are a slew of other things to do to support it. I know a few things that should be done. But what absolutely HAS to be done? Also, where should I search for those parts as well.

I have read Chaos' BT thread thoroughly and have dug around for the parts needed but haven't had much luck with finding much other than the turbo.

Thanks guys.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Administrator

What comes with the kit you found? You'll at least need injectors, a tune, a front mount, some kinda new intake setup, and a new DV. Apart from that, you're definitely gonna want to replace the oil lines to and from the turbo. That's not essential, but you need to take them off anyway and they're not super expensive.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

This was the cheapest one I could find(the other one's that cost more came with the same things).
1.8T GTRS Eliminator Hardware Kit only

Is the front mount absolutely imperative? I know it is to get all the power from it but I am just trying to figure out what is needed to make the turbo run safely without the extra parts to make it run perfectly and using all its power.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Front mount isn't completely necessary, but you should tell your tuner that you won't be running one. That kit you posted has the necessary lines and gaskets and stuff. What are you gonna do for a manifold? Tune? Fueling?

Old 10-08-2012, 10:46 AM
2nd Gear

Also have to consider your clutch.

You may be able to get away with using your stock clutch, but that means no launches or hard driving on the BT.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:58 AM
1st Gear

Okay sounds good about that. I really plan to just get it in an running and then install the front mount and get it tuned. I was thinking I needed a new manifold but wasn't sure which one or where to get it. And for fueling do you mean the injectors? If so, I was planning on getting 440cc injectors like the writeup, unless told otherwise. But again, not sure where I should buy them for the best price. For the tune, I plan to do Revo if they have a tune because they are closest to me.

Oh and Meloman I have a stage 2 clutch installed from when I had to replace my stock clutch a while back.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Administrator

440's are doable on a GTRS, but you need to have a tune before you start messing with fueling. If you're going to replace the turbo and run it on stock tuning/fueling for a while, I would call Revo and ask them about it. I've never heard of anyone doing that with a GTRS. Before you pick injectors, talk to Revo and tell them what your plan is.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

Okay sounds good. I'm going to call up my local Revo shop and see what they think about the upgrade. I'll post again with their response.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

So I called them and they said that Revo has a tune for bigger turbos like the GT28RS, but I said that I am looking at the GTRS. But he kept saying that people call them the same thing and that they are the same. I think he understands that they are different but he assumes that I don't realize they are.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:20 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by zaboomafoo1212
So I called them and they said that Revo has a tune for bigger turbos like the GT28RS, but I said that I am looking at the GTRS. But he kept saying that people call them the same thing and that they are the same. I think he understands that they are different but he assumes that I don't realize they are.
Many times people will call the elim version the GT28RS and the full frame version the GTRS. When it comes down to the tune, dont worry about the specific turbo. You'll be getting an OTS (off the shelf) tune which really covers all gt28xx sized turbos, whether its full frame or elim.

Also Revo tunes go with 550cc injectors so if you wanted to stick with them for your tune then you'd have to ditch the 440cc injectors.

edit: I would also highly recommend you dont an upgraded turbo without a proper tune first. Is it doable? Yes. But you risk running very lean which can be catastrophic

Quick Reply: GTRS Turbo Upgrade Checklist